Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Daisy back up a few pages on the posts about elderberry. Is it possible to buy the dried berries where you are? They are available on Amazon.

This is a link to a page with lots on information about elderberry preventing virus from replicating, thus shortening the length and severity of flu and cold virus. On the next page, I posted a recipe for making the elderberry syrup.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could probably find some in a health food store, Its not easy to get delivery here. Thanks for the info :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i'll go by what the law says, the law being the constitution of the state. the governor has the power to declare a state of emergency and they have the power to govern. that is why they're elected.

the idea that the governor cannot make regulations during a state of emergency without approval of the congress is BS. the congress can't act in time and as is evidenced by this event it chooses partisan bickering over the health and safety of the citizens.
I DID NOT SAY, (the idea that the governor CANNOT MAKE (emphesis mine) regulations during a state of emergency without approval of congress) nor is the article saying that. I was trying to get across the difference between a law and mandate.

I'm a person of detail. I can't change that, and I won't suppress it, because it's a personality trait.

The Emergency Management Act vests the governor with broad powers and duties to “cop[e] with dangers to this state or the people of this state presented by a disaster or emergency,” which the governor may implement through “executive orders, proclamations, and directives having the force and effect of law.” MCL 30.403(1)-(2). Similarly, the Emergency Powers of the Governor Act of 1945, provides that, after declaring a state of emergency, “the governor may promulgate reasonable orders, rules, and regulations as he or she considers necessary to protect life and property or to bring the emergency situation within the affected area under control.” MCL 10.31(1).

I do see in the above that it does say the executive orders have the force and effect of law, however there are differences between the two.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One overlooked detail: governor mandate expires after a certain number of days, I believe it to be 60 days. Thereafter, legislature must approve further mandates. Our legislature has been shut down since CV hit, and if I'm understanding the politics correctly, our gov is blocking reconvening of the legislature. Therefore, the governor mandates are to my knowledge null and void, however that doesnot stop the continuation of her power over us. Maine is very rural, has not had CV issues, yet we remain under lockdown, and her mandates exceed CDC and ADA guidelines.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is a very well written article @Britesea .
Thanks for posting the link. I fear that here in America, we are heading in the same direction with overbearing political agendas.

The county I live in has a high percentage of positive results from testing. However, that stems from a small corner of the county that is a bedroom community for the nearby urban area. About 80% of our cases in the county come from less than 5% of the land area.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Daisy is this for real?

Yes, all of this has happened in the state of Victoria and been national news. It's probably not as bad as it looks as this mentions every single event -

Police in riot gear are forcefully clearing out farmers markets, harassing elderly women for sitting on a park bench, snatching infants in strollers from fathers, and fining people for catching a bus without a ‘work permit.’ In the modern town of Ballarat, a pregnant woman in her pajamas is handcuffed and arrested in her own home over a Facebook post promoting a peaceful protest, in a town not even under the severest level of lockdown. She was charged with ‘incitement’ similar to a terrorism charge, and could face 15 years in jail. People are being threatened with fines for merely ‘liking’ a Facebook post.

The majority of Victorians seem to be in support of their premier and lockdown as a control. Australia is pretty laid back in that people will just do as they are told. I have mention here before that US citizens may bawk at our "nanny state" mentality. The people that have made the news in rebellion of the lock down have been portrayed as selfish, stupid and possibly psychotic. It keeps the majority in line while any speaking out are punished (reports say fines have been dismissed when challenged in court. I do not agree that independent thinkers are stupid or psychotic, but this narrative works for the media).

I loved the "pajama class panickers" line. That is so true. Most are not too concerned by lockdown laws while they have money and postal/food delivery. Now that the government support payments are being wound back, we will see the strain. Victorians have complained loudly online, but few take action because in reality, life is still very comfortable there.

To be fair, it is a unique situation here. If we eradicate community transmission of the virus in Victoria, the entire country could be free from the pandemic with our closed boarder and quarantine requirements. It is similar in NZ.

I am in West Aust, so completely unaffected by what is happening in Victoria. We have our border closed (except for returning citizens and other exemptions). This state is thriving with no lockdown, no community transmission and about 4 cases in quarantine. There has been a state government campaign to get people to "work and wander out yonder" and tourism has had a major boost. Harvest could be iffy, but overall WA is doing great economically. The premier here has about a 90% approval rating, but with summer approaching, people are getting antsy about the limitations on interstate travel.

This could all blow up, but my money is on the majority being far too lazy and too comfortable to bother fighting the various state government regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.