Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My area is starting to come 'round to voluntary stay-at-home. The Republicans are blocking the Democrat Governor's COVID responses and its turned into a bloody mess in WI. Its not quite to El Paso bad, but the hospitals are reaching their maxxed out point, nursing homes are hot spots and deaths have shot way up from them. Give us a couple weeks and we will be a New York or El Paso.

I'm beginning to have difficulty getting grocery pickup appointments - people are beginning to stay out of stores. I have an appointment this weekend and am going to buy 3 week's worth because I'm not going to stay up until midnight and fight for getting grocery pickup appointment. Had a family meeting last night to get kids on board. We have plenty, but they wont keep getting box cereal and crackers they like. There wont be a shutdown here because of politics, so I dont expect a wave of panic buying and wiping out store inventory again. The stuff will be there for anyone desperate or dumb enough to go into a store.

DH and I have decided to opt out of family gatherings for all the holidays. Both of our families are cautious - I doubt we will be missing anything. I'm really quite pleased for the opportunity to let some traditions die and start some better ones.

I am pondering a porch potluck exchange. Swap Thanksgiving dishes with local friends or family so you can have the food experience of a shared meal. Could eat "together" with videochat too

The longer this COVID situation goes on, the more thankful I am for it. I've learned so much about myself and my habits. I've been able to right-size my life. DS5 is making huge gains in school - he's enrolled in a virtual charter school but our day-to-day experience is unschooling. DS13 is doing well in virtual charter school and starting to make academic gains. The online communities formed due to COVID linked me with people who have helped with DS13's [severe] behavior problems. My marriage is stronger. I've had perfect excuses to limit or end toxic relationships. I've been able to quit volunteer obligations. I've lost weight.

I understand this had been difficult or devastating for many people. Once the grief fades and industries/employment shifts stabilize, I think there people will start to find a lot of silver linings. 💓

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
it is a mess here, now we have three relative families that are all infected and under quarantine. temperature checks just do not reliably catch all cases and all it takes is one person shedding virus to easily infect everyone else. just hope everyone comes through ok. *sigh*
So true! I have low body temp so a temp check will never catch me. 😅 I use a wearable heart rate monitor. My resting heart rate will increase for 3 to 5 days before I get sick. If you have a wearable you can use the data to decide when to start taking antiviral supplements. 🎉

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I continue to trust that God has a plan. It may be uncomfortable for a while, but He knows what he's doing.

Whenever I hear people being afraid of dying, it reminds me of a joke I heard once, which has the ring of truth in the punch line:

A man got very sick, and his doctor told him that he only had a few months to live if he didn't turn things around. His wife took over and made sure he was taking his meds, eating right, excercising, etc. This went on for 5 years, when the couple were in a car accident and both died. Upon their arrival in Heaven, they looked around-- huge banquets, people laughing, dancing, playing... The man turned to his wife and said to her "I could have been here 5 years ago if it weren't for you!"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well stated, @Britesea . For me to live is Christ. For me to die is gain. However, I am responsible for taking care of my Dad during his last days. If I get sick, he dies alone in a nursing home. So... that being said, we have opted to have a low key meal here, most likely just hubby and myself. I'll cook a chicken, which will give us 4 - 5 days of good meals.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I understand this had been difficult or devastating for many people. Once the grief fades and industries/employment shifts stabilize, I think there people will start to find a lot of silver linings. 💓

i'm glad things have gone ok for you and the family. i hope it continues to work out. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So true! I have low body temp so a temp check will never catch me. 😅 I use a wearable heart rate monitor. My resting heart rate will increase for 3 to 5 days before I get sick. If you have a wearable you can use the data to decide when to start taking antiviral supplements. 🎉
@tortoise it amazes me the folks with issues (like my wife too) can be so in tune with their body. She too does not run a regular body temp, sometimes almost 2 degrees. I have been in an exam room where they say, temp is normal, then the 10 minute "go look at my history " to prove she has a fever.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need to be in tune with your body -- some people are. I am.

Couple days ago I had phone with me doing evening chores and prep for the coming rain. Expecting a call, I absently mindedly answered a call. To my surprise, a rep from my insurance carrier to set up a "wellness virtual appointment". WTH? So I asked why I would do this-- I'm fine. Well, to make sure I'm not having any issues. Advised her I'd just unloaded 4 bales of 75# hay, was now carrying a 40# goat kid, hadn't seen a doctor in 20 yrs, as no need, not even a cold! What would a not in person "visit" tell her? You can't even take my blood pressure. Not on any meds. No, not just letting you collect for a doctor visit I do not need! Here are my stats, pass them along. Bye!

I'm wondering why they have so much time to chase down healthy people. By the way, this is like third time this year they have called to get "wellness" visit. I'll call if I need them...ever.

I do feel regular check ups every couple years are good for some. May catch some issues early. But healthy is not dependant on a Dr visit....far from it, unless you have known problems...which your body normally tells you, if you listen.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a bimbo call to pre register me for some diagnostic that was not even to be scheduled until NEXT SUMMER. They want to fleece your wallet for not necessary stuff... Then when you NEED something, you can't get it scheduled for MONTHS. I sure would like to get my teeth cleaned. Last one was 2019. Then covid. I'm not even booked until March 2021!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Insurance companies are trying to reduce their costs by getting people healthcare before its a disaster. Costs less to have a nurse tell you to exercise more than to pay out millions for your lifetime of diabesity and depression treatnent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts