Coturnix Quail Anyone?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been keeping Coturnix quail off and on for years now. They're awesome, tasty little birds. Incubation only takes about 17 days. They grow fast and start to lay in a mere 6 -7 weeks after hatch. I've had several start laying at 43 days! They're also ready to harvest at around 8 weeks. Easy to raise, easy to sex, and easy to butcher. I only have a few right now, but I'm in the process of trying to increase my numbers again. Secure housing is important because these little guys can't exactly defend themselves. I've built my new cages out of hardware cloth which is pretty sturdy and keeps out any marauding varmint.

Coturnix are starting to be available in more colors than just brown. There is an Texas A&M version that is mostly white. Nice birds but not as easy to sex as the coturnix. There are lots of great recipes out there also.

Anybody else keep - or want to keep quail?

Attachments

• 1609633374545.png
    1609633374545.png
    927.6 KB · Views: 1,078

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I try to go for at least a square foot per adult bird. Also don't make the cages very tall because when they get startled they are well known for jumping up and possibly breaking their necks. I keep my birds under a cover so my cages are all wire. I'm in the process of building all new cages to get away from wire that rodents/snakes can get through. A snake doesn't have much problem getting through 1 x 2 wire or even 1x1.

We found a snake inside a cage that had eaten a bird and was too fat to get back out. That was fun....not! That little fiasco earned my DH a black eye, lol. He's not much good at snake ID (it was a non-venomous, but nasty tempered rat snake) so he called me when he saw it. I was trying to get the snake outta the cage when it struck at me. DH was standing right behind me and when I jerked my hand back away from the snake - I smacked DH right in the face. I told him that's what he got for hiding behind a girl! :lol:

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally got around to butchering some quail yesterday. Started out with 12, but fumble fingers dropped one. I have no idea why Raine and Karma thought it was a doggie treat. Took an hour from cage to kitchen.

Before the final cleaning:

Attachments

• 0EB20261-CB74-4926-9C51-57CCC3B355C8.jpeg
    0EB20261-CB74-4926-9C51-57CCC3B355C8.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 129

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd make those shelf cages open so I could put a liner to hold bedding and accumulations....pull out, toss/wash and replace. 😁 the premade frame is great!!!
I generally line them with a cut feed sack. I roll it up to either take it out or put it in. It makes it somewhat better. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
MIRACLE! Found some quail right down the road from me...ok actually...about a half-hour from me. She only had a few but I took 'em all. Now I have a dozen - six pairs. Didn't really need all the males because you can put 1 male to 2 - 3 females, but I took 'em anyway. I always need extras "justincase."

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I raise them because they're easy and fast and taste good too! And quiet - you could raise them in a garage if needed. they do make a cute little cricket type noise and the roosters "crow." If you don't know the sound you'd think it was an odd songbird, lol.

They hatch out in about 17 days - are mostly mature at about the 6 week mark and will start laying about that time. I usually let them grow another couple of weeks before butchering and I can butcher one from start to finish in less than 5 minutes. I'm all about the instant gratification, lol!

It would take approximately (at least) 3 quail eggs to equal one chicken egg.

Down side - no free ranging. Without secure cages they are definitely a target for predators - ask me how I know. :( Eggs have to be incubated - they don't go broody. They are a bit of a pain to crack. The shell isn't the problem, but the membrane is strong. I have a quail egg cutter that makes it quick and easy. Grandkids LOVE to cut a quail egg! My grandson mentioned that he wants to raise his own so I'll get him set up if he continues to express interest.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Forgot to add that I spent another half-hour cleaning some guts. Tiny little things, but tasty. Liver is easy enough and doesn't require much work, heart isn't much bigger than a raisin, gizzards are about the size of a plump grape. A lot of work for a tiny reward - but oh so yummy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had let my numbers get pretty low for awhile so when I decided to hatch a batch I ordered eggs. Ebay has several offerings and some of the different colors of birds. I'm after meat so not worried about the different colors but some of them are quite striking!

I need to start arranging my breeding pens to see how many I'm going to keep over winter. My thought is to get down to 4 pens with 3-4 females and 1 male each.