Coturnix Quail Anyone?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess what we had for dinner? I weighed a couple before I breaded for frying. Weighed one of the bigger ones before breading and frying and it was 4.6 ounces. The other two were about 4.2 ounces. The bones are petty tiny so a lot of that is meat.

Next batch I do will be stuffed with (maybe) jalapeno sausage and wrapped in bacon...after that I'll do some with a soy sauce/orange juice/hone marinade. I need to butcher more!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gizzards are generally the place you'd find pebbles and such to help grind the feed. I cut them open, clean 'em out and peel off the thick lining inside.

"Bird gizzards are lined with a tough layer made of koilin, a keratinous material of 90% protein and 10% fat, to protect the muscles in the gizzard
That lining also contains a substantial amount of pepsin. I dry and pulverize it and put into capsules for stomach upset.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I skin. I use a pair of shears to be-head them, clip off the wings, the feet and then peel the skin off and scoop out the innards. Literally a couple of minutes and they're done! So fast and easy and really, really tasty.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Broke down and ordered a new incubator. I don't get a lot of quail eggs yet - but I'm collecting them anyway. I really don't enjoy trying to incubate small amounts of eggs because it would just be my luck to hatch ONE little bird. :(

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Forgot to add that I spent another half-hour cleaning some guts. Tiny little things, but tasty. Liver is easy enough and doesn't require much work, heart isn't much bigger than a raisin, gizzards are about the size of a plump grape. A lot of work for a tiny reward - but oh so yummy!
That sounds like a way I could eat organs. Tiny, no chewing required. :gig