Countdown to Meat Rabbits: A few pics from planning the colony

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Can't say i blame ya lil brother.
My next girls will be raised in a building, in a "colony". Either New Zealands or Californians

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
*hugs* its tough...
especially whe its "supposed" to be easy...
i mean there rabbits for goodness sake if theres an animal known for breeding its rabbits...but seems like you just got the back end of the deal on this one...

i definatly think breed might be the problem here, ive heard the lops in general tend to be difficult breeders...
but ive got my fingers crossed you get at least 1 litter.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well the grey bun (Thumper) has yet to have her kits so we wait some more. She has hair pulled so maybe we will get children this time. I dont know :hu

But this week we will hopefully making some changes to our livestock herd. The lop buck will be heading out for sure. His fertility has been questioned during the entire adventure, and now selling most of the does off, he is deemed useless by me and mother. So he will be out of here for 5 dollars, already have someone who said theyd take any if we had them. The does (BB, Alma, Thumper) will either be posted to Craigslist or Tradeo. Soon. I may wait with Thumper because if she has kids, I will need her until weaning time. Deb is going to be retired, she is my pet she cant go, and Sis' two pets will stay too (Alex and Toby). But the money that the buck and does bring will go into buying 10 to 15 New Zealand or Californian teenagers. We have found a store in a neighboring county who had them for 7 bucks a piece a few weeks ago(But I wont be paying that, Im negotiating). Then I will set them up in the 8 by 6 coop to mature, then keep up to 8 does, and cull through the bucks and keep 2. Does will be kept in a colony setup.

What do you think a fair price for the does would be?

Any tips or suggestions on raising them in a colony?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Posted two of them on Craigslist. Older one for 20 and younger for 15. Then called the store, only a lionhead rabbit. Called the closest TSCs about rabbits, one wont have them and the other doesnt know when......so I guess I will comb craigslist :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Good luck looking Buffy!
I did find one ad, these were breeding age. But if Im gonna do a colony setup then I want to start out young ones in there.......

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Good luck looking Buffy!
I did find one ad, these were breeding age. But if Im gonna do a colony setup then I want to start out young ones in there.......
I really don't think it'll make a huge difference either way so long as the colony is secure for them. I could be wrong, but I'd try ir out with some breeding age myself, especially if that was all I could find/get. :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Good luck looking Buffy!
I really don't think it'll make a huge difference either way so long as the colony is secure for them. I could be wrong, but I'd try ir out with some breeding age myself, especially if that was all I could find/get. :hu
What I was worried about was fighting among the does.....I will mention it and keep it in mind.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
What I was worried about was fighting among the does.....I will mention it and keep it in mind.
With all that space, I don't think they will fight nearly as much, other than to establish order/dominance :hu I could be wrong, like I said, but I'd try it myself. You might ask Pinky, she has more experience with bunnies than I do. I could be telling you wrong.