Countdown to Meat Rabbits: A few pics from planning the colony

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
I really don't think it'll make a huge difference either way so long as the colony is secure for them. I could be wrong, but I'd try ir out with some breeding age myself, especially if that was all I could find/get. :hu
What I was worried about was fighting among the does.....I will mention it and keep it in mind.
With all that space, I don't think they will fight nearly as much, other than to establish order/dominance :hu I could be wrong, like I said, but I'd try it myself. You might ask Pinky, she has more experience with bunnies than I do. I could be telling you wrong.
Okay, she will probably pop in here. But Im gonna play it by ear, that store will have rabbits soon Im sure with Spring on the way. The rabbits I did find were 4 hours away so that isnt really an option either. I mainly want to get these sold, so we have less to feed and money to buy them with.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the key with a colony...
make sure its LARGE LARGE LARGE and 2: introduc all the does (no matter what age) at the same time, so if youve got a mixed age group or are getting 3 from here and 5 from there you need to keep them seperate untill youve got what your adding...once they are introduced only daughters will be accepted inby the colony, outside does are often driven out pretty quickly if added to an established colony.

with 10-15 adult does youd need a BIG space... i woudlnt do less than 20x20 for 6 does. if theres not enough teritory they will fight. add shelves and such for extra floor space in a smaller footprint but rabbits are territorial even in a colony setting.
youll also need enough "houses" they seem to prefer having their own "house" (for calis/nzs id say nothing smaler than 18x12)

for babies a 6x8 coop would be fine but once they hit about 8-12 months old theyll need alot more space. i probaly wouldnt do more than 3 does in that kind of space unless your going to be putting up lots of shalving at various higts around the room, and 6 adult does woudl be my absoltue tops in that space, id probably add a secure outdoor run area to increase floor space.

i honestly dont know how nz's and calis do in colony settings...i know rex tend to do well, BUT rex are also generally "mellow".
ive heard both sides of the coin on production breeds in colonies but alot of people in production breeds that start colony end up back to a cage system...
i think part of that is productuon numbers...its much easier to intensivly breed when your does are sepearted.

Also rabbits in colony settings do tend to be a little less friendly so you have to be prepped to catch them lol.
the catching them is the reason im thinking i might go with day pens rather than a true colony settings.
i love colonies when done right...but im not sure im up to running around a large pen trying to catch them lol. trying to catch 3 babbits in a 10x10 bedroom is hard enough LOL.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Pinky! I knew you'd have a better idea and be able to explain it!! It has been SO long since I researched it. I had forgotten the mechanics of how, why, etc.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, colonies are definatly interesting in terms of the mechanics...the big time producers will tell you colonies dont work,
and thats simply not true...
but i do think making sure you have enough space and gtting the right girls can be a challenge...just like with people some does will never get along and in those cases it could be our best producer so do you cul her for a healthy colony or do you remove and cage her ect...lots of mechanics...that being said, my rex girls may still yet end up going colony but probably not untill next spring.

in a coop/solid floored unit you dont have to worry quite so much about dig outs/escapes but you do have to watch for airflow, like chickens rabbits need ALOT of airflow.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah, I ned to get mine some boards in their cages so they don't get sore hocks. So far they have done well with little issues, but probably because I keep hay in there pretty thick too. Speaking of...I need to clean cages next week if it ever dries up some :rolleyes:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup a good thick layer of hay or straw does the same job as a resting board...and the most issue youll get on the wire is with the rex's other breeds tend to do fine but rex coat just doesnt provide the same protection

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah the Rexes are all I am worried about. I'd rather do the boards this Spring because we won't be putting in hay, they'll get fresh grass instead.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you don't mind my .02 cents...

I would be wary of any breeding age rabbits unless you know the person. You don't want anyone elses problem. I have kept rabbits in a group before... they did well but I started with young rabbits, they were a veriety that I got at a hillbilly auction, there were everything from pure breed NZ to lionheads and some mixes.

I have had a few does that had fertility problems before, and we starter to give them wheat germ in their feed and some apple cider vinager in their water. Sometimes it helps. If you are going to keep some of those does becouse they are pets it can't hurt.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay I have another question Pinky, my cages are 6 square feet. So even though my cages are that size, their couldnt be that many in there per square feet? :pop

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thumper had her babies, when I checked them this morning. 6 or 7 and they are fat and warm! :) She had them near the opening of the nest and I pushed them towards the back......atleast one had them.