Countdown to Meat Rabbits: A few pics from planning the colony

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Managed to fix one or two things up for the colony setup today. Worked on making a feeding station for the hoppers of pellets, and alfalfa pellets. Should finish that Thursday, then the inside will be almost done except another buck cage, and some trinkets for the first one. Pictures later hopefully!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1419_sam_0589.jpg

A buck cage, with a feeder in it. I need to put a water bowl in for it, and make a hay rack.

1419_sam_0590.jpg

Free choice hay feeder, I figure I can put hay in it to the top, then they will eat through it from the bottom. Thus, it would be very hard to run out, and would be able to leave without worrying about food for the does. :D

1419_sam_0591.jpg

The two five pound feeders, I bought for growing out meat rabbits, and turns out they will be useful here to :D

Still haven't unloaded Walter, and no contact about the does. :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks good! i like your hay feeder! will deifnatly help keep waste to a minimum.

keep an eye on craiglist, seen alot of adds for Nz's and calis in the western KY section lately, dont knwo where you are but it deifnatly seems to be perking up in terms of rabbit adds.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
looks good! i like your hay feeder! will deifnatly help keep waste to a minimum.

keep an eye on craiglist, seen alot of adds for Nz's and calis in the western KY section lately, dont knwo where you are but it deifnatly seems to be perking up in terms of rabbit adds.
Yeah Ive been lurking :D but Im on the exact opposite side of the state, Im a Mountain Man :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Got conformation on a dog kennel, plus mine! So thats a 30 by 10 run! :woot I have a question on burying boards to prevent escape, how deep is sufficient?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
24" is the general rule of thumb :)
Thanks Pinky!!!

News!!! I just checked my email and have a reply about my ad! :woot She is interested, and was wondering if I had them. I ask her if they what they would be used for if it was breeding or as pets. I do want to tell her about the problems with fertility and my idea that its probably the buck but that we are wanting to switch management styles anyway.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Full disclosure if they want breeders Buff :old
I know, I will tell them! See the post above yours! :)

How much ACV in the water as coccidiostat?