coup prep for freezing weather

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkies never have had cold issues. They will peck out a hole in the ice in their water bowls if it's thin enough. I take out fresh water twice a day when it's really freezing.

Actually, picking up one of the little fluff balls and cuddling it is a good way to help warm hands.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkies won't touch snow. It's acid!

The ameraucana and EEs will come out unless it's too deep. Then they wait for me to stamp it down. First snowfall always makes them freak out, though.

Wide wood roosts. Then no issues. They will sleep on their feet and keep them warm. 2x4 laid flat works very well.

I use the deep litter method, but the coop is 8x15 with a dirt floor. Lot's of worms and other stuff. I don't know how well it works in smaller spaces. Just that the 2x3 silkie houses that they only sleep and lay in must be cleaned out regularly.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My Silkie hen is broody and sitting on 5 eggs. I plan to cull (sell) 2 of her 3 chicks from this summer's hatch, and she lost her spring hatch to a weasel. So I let her sit on eggs even though it's getting chilly here. If she hatches them successfully I might add a heat lamp over the food and water when they are a couple weeks old. IDK, we'll see how she does.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not bad. high 20s. we had a dusting of snow that was melted before nightfall today. it was a Texas blizzard

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What breed of chickens do you have?

I have never had a chicken willing to venture out in snow.
my hope is with the run wrapped there will be no snow for them to "worry" about. Just their frozen run ground with some added straw out there for their feet. I have a spot that I am going to keep open at the 8ft mark to keep the air flowing but that is about it. I have a mixed flock of Brahma, Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Leghorn (not very hardy) and Polish (not at all hardy). And maybe I am crazy to think that they will go out at all, but hopeful

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I had Leghorns in a indoor coop with a heat lamp and they did just fine. That coop was cement block - part of my barn - so it was a little more temperate than an average coop. Rhode Island Red roosters with the carnation comb had a heck of a time with frostbite.

I have Silkies (walnut comb, generally considered cold hardy) and just added 4 Barred Rock pullets. I think they are low risk for frostbite.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal last February 2021, we had 10 days of freak record breaking winter storm in Texas. In my area, it got to MINUS SIX degrees! The only thing I did different for my chickens was to give them a fresh water jug twice a day, full of hot water. The frozen one went in the bathtub to thaw out. They also got treats of fat and BOSS. My coop only had one solid side. The sides had 1 foot of wire at the bottom and the front was wire. No heat lamp. Chickens were fine. Ever hear that old saying, “Tough ol’ bird!”
we had -4 at my place. i covered the door qith plastic and put two heat lamps in. the coop stayed pretty warm

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we are at -12 and the coop was -5 this morning, but they all came out happy to eat this morning! egg laying hasn't slowed too much. can't wait until Feb because we typically don't have the below 0 temps. I have upped some of their fatty and protein treats
Same here. I've been giving them an omega 3 supplement too.

Latest posts