coup prep for freezing weather

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One thing I have started doing during the really cold days is covering up their roof vent with pieces of carpet, since their pop up door is open and provides enough ventilation. Then when I close them up for the night I take the carpet down. Seems to be working just fine and is also keeping wind hurricanes from forming with the high winds we have had.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Small tight confined spaces for chickens. A bunch of them get in there together and seem to keep themselves warm. This weather your talking about how cold?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know this is an older post-but as winter is approaching I thought I would read through it--very good article btw @WildBird.

What about sub zero temps for more than a day or two? I plan on doing the DLM too but is that enough? I have a 6x6 coop with plenty of ventilation and 8 chickens. First time winter though, DH thinks I need to add heat but I am on the fence--I want to "baby" them but they are also farm animals. I plan on plasticing the run so they can venture outside and their water will be outside (which will have a livestock heater in it). Someone recommended heat tape on the roost? Is this necessary or even good for them?

Thanks for all the help!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What about sub zero temps for more than a day or two? I plan on doing the DLM too but is that enough? I have a 6x6 coop with plenty of ventilation and 8 chickens. First time winter though, DH thinks I need to add heat but I am on the fence--I want to "baby" them but they are also farm animals. I plan on plasticing the run so they can venture outside and their water will be outside (which will have a livestock heater in it). Someone recommended heat tape on the roost? Is this necessary or even good for them?

Thanks for all the help!
What breed of chickens do you have?

I have never had a chicken willing to venture out in snow.

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make sure the coop is clean and make sure the silkies are dry and sleeping on the nests. No supplemental heat as long as the silkies are dry (besides the heat chip in the waterer). What I do: How To Overwinter Chickens Naturally

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Silkie hen is broody and sitting on 5 eggs. I plan to cull (sell) 2 of her 3 chicks from this summer's hatch, and she lost her spring hatch to a weasel. So I let her sit on eggs even though it's getting chilly here. If she hatches them successfully I might add a heat lamp over the food and water when they are a couple weeks old. IDK, we'll see how she does.
@tortoise did your Silkie ever hatch her eggs?