Cow folk, just curious about this "rescue"

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, too, agree with the idea of rescuing starving animals, fattening them up, butchering them and them having the meat go to the shelters. I'd be happy to be a part of that.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh jeez. I'm now doing research on raising a veal calf. Thanks a ton guys. :rolleyes: SSF is detrimental to my sanity. :/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just sent an e-mail to that link asking them WHERE I could buy some of those BEEF CALVES! :D :D :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
didya tell 'em them cows looked deeelicious? hee hee hee hee

;-)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Sure, the one tether looks like it's a bit short, but, I know that they're not supposed to move around much for veal, and I'm not sure how much room they really should have (looks like it can lay down DIRECTLY under where it's tethered, or move maybe a few feet if standing).
it's really unnecessary to restrain veal calves. it's right up there with people thinking that chickens who never move around are tastier. the flavor is going to come mostly from being milk-fed and the tenderness is from being young, not being immobile.

"white veal," the kind thought of in connection with confinement, can only be maintained by chemical interventions and a lack of iron. "rose veal," however, can be humanely, organically raised and tastes MUCH better- it has a richer, more robust flavor but maintains that delicious tenderness.

Is veal ethical and eco-friendly?

Farmers say "rose veal" is a humanely raised meat

Chapel Hill Farms rose veal

i agree that they don't look unhealthy, but confinement is unnecessary and cruel. we should follow the UKs lead and ban it outright. in my opinion, that's enough reason (if there was proof that they were there for an extended period and not just while they were waiting to be loaded or something) to seize them or, at the very least, fine the farmer. but, of course, regulations here in the states don't want to deal with that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those calves looked mighty bright-eyed, slick and glossy to me....nicely filled out also. The bedding looked dry and the calves looked like they were napping.

I think, on the whole, the thing is bogus. They should take a little trip to the local livestock auction if they want to see some poorly dairy calves.... :rolleyes:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Those calves looked mighty bright-eyed, slick and glossy to me....nicely filled out also. The bedding looked dry and the calves looked like they were napping.

I think, on the whole, the thing is bogus. They should take a little trip to the local livestock auction if they want to see some poorly dairy calves.... :rolleyes:
Agreed. A handful of sicklings went through when I was at the sale barn yesterday; they sold quite fast and for a decent amount even.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If these people have 'rescued' these calves... where are the pictures of the now-happy frolicking calves in their pastures?

To me it just sounds like a way to get money out of people who have never seen a calf. They really don't look in that bad of condition to me... they look alert, on dry bedding and look comfortable to me.

This 'rescue' could have taken those pictures from anywhere on the internet, made up a story and are now soliciting donations... they have no follow up info on the rescue.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
i agree that they don't look unhealthy, but confinement is unnecessary and cruel. we should follow the UKs lead and ban it outright. in my opinion, that's enough reason (if there was proof that they were there for an extended period and not just while they were waiting to be loaded or something) to seize them or, at the very least, fine the farmer. but, of course, regulations here in the states don't want to deal with that.
I am going to politely disagree with this statement.

1 - the government is trying to regulate and control us enough as it is, so I don't believe they should be allowed to fine us or seize animals just because we tethered them. that's just more goverment control and next they'll be telling us we can't eat meat period at this rate.

oops hit a button, sent before I was ready.

2 - we have a constitutional right to privacy. If I had a veal barn out here, and someone snooped in and saw my tethered soon to be served on my table veal calves and reported me for abuse, well they'd be in violations of my privacy! and they trespassed to get that information now, didn't they?

3. We should quit trying to be our neighbor's bosses. People need to leave the farmers alone. I personally believe if a veal farmer wants to tether their calves intended for veal, more power to them. As long as they are well fed, can lay down if needed, are kept clean, who cares? they're going to be ate soon anyway.

I really get irritated when people get "up in arms" about animals who are tethered - I'm talking any animals - dogs, horses, goats, etc.

Just because they are tethered doesn't mean they are being abused. Sometimes that tether is in place for the animals own good - like keeping my goat in the stupid pasture even tho we tried a gazzillion different fencing methods - or keeping my big ol' dog from biting you if you're coming to visit. Plus, there's a leash law, and so unless someone wants to pay for placing kennel fencing around the perimeter of my entire property, I can't legally allow my dog free roam.

Tethering is NOT animal cruelty - not if they have shelter, food, and general care.

And just because it's not on my couch eating popcorn with me everynight doesn't mean it's not just as loved as any other animal on the place.

Next thing people will jump on is "it's inhumane to keep rabbits in hutches" and then they'll be making us keep those crazy things in on the ground pens "for constant access to grass".

*note - i'm taking a time out lol