Cow folk, just curious about this "rescue"

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
How do you know a calf is anemic by looking at it?
Presumably it is the same for calves as for other mammals, you look at the gums or inner parts of the eye membranes, if they are pale the animal is likely anemic.

I have no opinion on the article, I think there is way too little hard information and it's just a matter of which side you are innately inclined to believe.

Pat

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I have no opinion on the article, I think there is way too little hard information and it's just a matter of which side you are innately inclined to believe.

Pat
I agree... I posted the newspaper article just because that's what I found when I googled it, but really without actually seeing the calves, or better conformation pictures to show their true condition, then we won't really know the true story behind it.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have too much cow experience, but they didn't look that bad to me.

Around here, we have an infamous animal-rights group that is run by a lady who has been known to "rescue" animals from their legal owners while no one is home. :rolleyes:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I don't have too much cow experience, but they didn't look that bad to me.

Around here, we have an infamous animal-rights group that is run by a lady who has been known to "rescue" animals from their legal owners while no one is home. :rolleyes:
That's theft or rustling in some parts. Used to be punishable by hanging.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've done my share of rescuing. What would happen if someone was visiting a neighbor of mine and saw Mya when she was scary-thin and could barely walk and her hooves looked like skiis? Even now, at her peak, she looks thin when standing next to part-Boer Ginger and the two Princesses Chunk, fat pygmy-x's that look preggers with quads on any given day. Mya's feet took almost a year to start looking "ok" and still are deformed. She could be whisked away for neglect.

I was denied adoption of a poodle on a rescue site due to switching to a vet who titered rather than following the calendar (recommended by big pharma) for vaccinations. You would not believe (well, some of you would!) how I was treated by the rescue organization in their denial letter. I am not so enamored of all rescues anymore. I rescue privately now. My good deeds still don't go unpunished. Sheesh.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I've done my share of rescuing. What would happen if someone was visiting a neighbor of mine and saw Mya when she was scary-thin and could barely walk and her hooves looked like skiis? Even now, at her peak, she looks thin when standing next to part-Boer Ginger and the two Princesses Chunk, fat pygmy-x's that look preggers with quads on any given day. Mya's feet took almost a year to start looking "ok" and still are deformed. She could be whisked away for neglect.

I was denied adoption of a poodle on a rescue site due to switching to a vet who titered rather than following the calendar (recommended by big pharma) for vaccinations. You would not believe (well, some of you would!) how I was treated by the rescue organization in their denial letter. I am not so enamored of all rescues anymore. I rescue privately now. My good deeds still don't go unpunished. Sheesh.
I have issues with some rescue Organizations also. Even our local Humane Society for which I volunteer annoys me at times. I will not deal with their rabbit people. They insist that rabbits must be in the house and are never to go outside!!! They state that is so people don't forget about their rabbit nor lock it in a small hutch. Well our rabbit is in a large dog kennel and since we are always outside, we do spend time with him and he gets to watch us and everybody else all day long. His pen is big enough for all of us to sit in there comfortably. I often sit and try to read.
When I told them that, they looked at me as if I was some outrageously mean person, making my rabbit stay outside. They insisted, that even though I was outside all day, that my rabbit should be inside the house running around.
I gave up and walked out.
We were also denied a pitbull puppy at a different shelter, because the dog was going to spend most of its time outside with us, since we are farmers and maybe even some nights. :ep

What's up with people beliving that everyone (including animals) belongs in a house with no access to the outside except for maybe a small yard for a few minutes.
Of course everyone is on the bandwagon for letting chicken roam free, finally! But rabbits and dogs and cats, still need to be confined inside a house!

There is a fine line between treating animals with respect and honoring their natural lifestyle and protecting them from people who would abuse or neglect their animals.
And then there are those that think everything must live as they believe. And try to force it on the rest of us.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Freemotion, I have run into the same thing. Some rescue organizations have completely detached from reality.
My uncle gets all starry-eyed about Shelties, so I was going to get him one last Christmas. Not as a suprise, he knew about it and was all excited.
And I have a very good name in the local rescue community, I have definitely paid my dues.
They were completely nasty to me because my Aunt and Uncle don't have a fenced yard, and would not let me adopt.

Also, that is *awesome* that you have a vet who titers! Vaccination is great, but sooo many vets do it indiscriminately and way too much.
I can't afford the titers, and the vets around here think it's nuts, so I just vaccinate on schedule for the first year or two, then every four years or so after that. 'Cept for rabies, of course, that one has to happen every year here.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just had a heartworm and tick-borne illness (Lyme is RAMPANT here in MA and CT) test done on my older dog who I brought in for lameness issues and suspected ACL tear. They wanted to rule out Lyme, and since the other items were in the same test, I said go for it.

He hasn't used any heartworm meds or any Frontline or ANY tick "protection" other than my tick puller in about 3-4 years. He was completely negative on all the tests. So there. Harrrumph, Big Pharma!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What's up with people beliving that everyone (including animals) belongs in a house with no access to the outside except for maybe a small yard for a few minutes.
Of course everyone is on the bandwagon for letting chicken roam free, finally! But rabbits and dogs and cats, still need to be confined inside a house!
I have one indoor cat, and three outdoor barn cats.

My indoor cat has fleas and constantly belches out hairballs, my outdoor cats do not.

My indoor cat is scared of everything, and doesn't know how to play or amuse himself. My barn cats are a constant source of amusement for the family.

I think indoor cats are the ones to suffer, although we try to put our indoor cat outside, and he sits at the door and cries to be let in. he's 8 years old. My dogs, no way they are coming in the house, they are much healthier and happier, and so am i, that they are outside. After all, they roll in poo.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I rescue privately now. My good deeds still don't go unpunished. Sheesh.
i hear you. when i was in 6th grade all i wanted for my birthday was a puppy that was MINE (we had two family/working dogs, catahoulas, but i wanted one that was just for me).

so we went to the Humane Society to pick one out. they let me play with all the puppies until i found one i fell in love with. we went to fill out the paperwork, we even had our vet references with us, and they denied our adoption. they denied us because one of our dogs wasn't spayed. we had had her bred with the complete intention of keeping 3 of the puppies as working dogs- the others were already spoken for by other farmers. her surgery was already scheduled for soon after the puppies were born and we already had a day scheduled to have the puppies fixed. the woman treated us like we were the scum of the earth. she's sitting there telling us we are terrible people because we are allowing our dog to have puppies, especially pure-bred puppies, and i'm bawling my eyes out. my mother totally flipped out on her. not a single one of those puppies was going to end up running the streets, unfixed and unwanted, but this woman just couldn't see past the breeding part.

we ended up adopting privately. we found out from a friend who starting working at that branch that the puppy i had wanted ended up spending 10 months waiting to be adopted and then was returned to the Humane Society because the people that got her couldn't handle a large, high energy dog- she was a Blue Heeler/German Shepard mix, a dog perfect for farm living.

it's sad when people get so caught up in red tape and regulations that they can't do what's actually best for the animals. i mean, the regulations have a purpose, but the actual welfare of the animals should come first.

miss_thenorth said:
I think indoor cats are the ones to suffer
my cat is allergic to being inside. seriously. he was a house cat for the first 8 years of his life and he had asthma and allergies all the time. cleaning supplies (before we went all natural), carpet fibers, vacuum bags, dust, laundry detergent- it all makes him sick. he's been outside for almost a year and he's SO much better. almost no allergies and the asthma is almost completely controlled, without medication.

Latest posts