Crealbilly Wood Working thread

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I opened this, expecting to see what work of art you are working on now. Sigh…..

But now that I’m here, I got a question. If I were to build a kitchen countertop of wood, what would I use to seal, finish and protect it? Would a resin work?

If I were to make my own flooring, using different size rounds, same question. Would mortar between rounds be ok and what kind?
Check out WiseBond Deep Pour or one of the many knock offs. Basically it's a clear 2 part epoxy resin that's pourable and self leveling.

A wood cookie floor that's so cool. I would go a minimum of 2" thick cookies so you have plenty to sand before running out. I would also think about the same finish for the floor. But I would also call WiseBond and get someone on the phone who knows more than I do.

https://www.wisebond.com/collections/deep-pour-epoxy-resin

I once did a record album floor with bartop finish. It also is a two part epoxy but it was before the deep pour epoxies came out in the mainstream.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How does that hold up to floor traffic, mud, sand and so forth? And how does it hold up to years of use and abuse as a counter top?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How does that hold up to floor traffic, mud, sand and so forth? And how does it hold up to years of use and abuse as a counter top?

That's kind of the neat thing about that deep pour expoxy. When it gets beat up badly, you just sand down past the ugly and buff it out to a good as new finish. It's pretty tough stuff when it dries. I wouldn't go using it as a butcher block or anything like that though. Give WiseBond a call I'm sure they will answer any questions you may have.

Edit... here's one where the tinted the epoxy black to make the cookies pop.
maybe this is two pours a black first and clear over top?
download (4).jpeg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am seriously considering building a cordwood house, post and beam frame, mortared cordwood infill. Neighbor Robert has a sawmill, we have some nice pine trees and cedars. Some of our pines are big enough to get 2 beams from. I need to measure to see what I can get and figure out what size posts I want. It will be double posted because I want thick walls. I’m thinking no less than 18” thick.

This mobile home is nice, but unsustainable. No wood burning heat and nowhere to put one, walls are laid out wrong and we might have too much stuff. LOL If power goes off in the summer, in 30 minutes it is an oven. We have to leave. By the Grace of God, power stayed on last winter when we had -6F degrees! I don’t want to grow old here.

My son has 35 acres in Houston County, outside of Ratcliff. I’m rolling around in my head putting up a pole barn with living quarters, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room. Put up shelter for animals, fence, and get prepared. Sell this place, move and use money to build a home like no other. I figure 2 years to cut, saw and gather up materials. Get all that moved and under cover.

Then I figure 1-2 years to build. My husband is horrified. He loves it here, doesn’t like change and we do have an exceptional neighborhood. We wouldn’t have a neighborhood there, it is much more rural, houses are spaced far apart. I’ve got a lot to think about.
We moved here to be close to my DD and family. They got better jobs and moved to Odessa, 8 hours away. Now they have gotten jobs in Corpus Christi and are moving again. They will be maybe 6-7 hours away. They may be there awhile, they may not, pretty sure they will not retire there. I don’t want to get settled, dug in and move again

Son doesn’t live on his land, but probably will someday. He has a house in Trinity County, but lives in his RV. He’s fixing up the house to rent and making a pad to park his RV when he is “in” from a job. ATM he is working locally but the good jobs are kicking off again. He won’t be a road dog forever, it’s a hard life. I’m looking to the future when I’m old and not able to do the things I do now, late 80’s or 90’s.
I have wanted to build a cordwood house for about 15 years. The raw materials are here on this place and can provide what I need. I’ve bought books and am reading and studying. I have no house building experience at all. A friend of ours was a contractor in his younger days and wants to help.

So this is what I’m thinking about. It will be a lot of work and a huge upheaval, but I have a deep down conviction that this is what I need to do.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course this provides the perfect excuse for buying power tools, table saw, planer, sander, etc. and learning how to use them. :ya

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am seriously considering building a cordwood house, post and beam frame, mortared cordwood infill. Neighbor Robert has a sawmill, we have some nice pine trees and cedars. Some of our pines are big enough to get 2 beams from. I need to measure to see what I can get and figure out what size posts I want. It will be double posted because I want thick walls. I’m thinking no less than 18” thick.

This mobile home is nice, but unsustainable. No wood burning heat and nowhere to put one, walls are laid out wrong and we might have too much stuff. LOL If power goes off in the summer, in 30 minutes it is an oven. We have to leave. By the Grace of God, power stayed on last winter when we had -6F degrees! I don’t want to grow old here.

My son has 35 acres in Houston County, outside of Ratcliff. I’m rolling around in my head putting up a pole barn with living quarters, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room. Put up shelter for animals, fence, and get prepared. Sell this place, move and use money to build a home like no other. I figure 2 years to cut, saw and gather up materials. Get all that moved and under cover.

Then I figure 1-2 years to build. My husband is horrified. He loves it here, doesn’t like change and we do have an exceptional neighborhood. We wouldn’t have a neighborhood there, it is much more rural, houses are spaced far apart. I’ve got a lot to think about.
We moved here to be close to my DD and family. They got better jobs and moved to Odessa, 8 hours away. Now they have gotten jobs in Corpus Christi and are moving again. They will be maybe 6-7 hours away. They may be there awhile, they may not, pretty sure they will not retire there. I don’t want to get settled, dug in and move again

Son doesn’t live on his land, but probably will someday. He has a house in Trinity County, but lives in his RV. He’s fixing up the house to rent and making a pad to park his RV when he is “in” from a job. ATM he is working locally but the good jobs are kicking off again. He won’t be a road dog forever, it’s a hard life. I’m looking to the future when I’m old and not able to do the things I do now, late 80’s or 90’s.
I have wanted to build a cordwood house for about 15 years. The raw materials are here on this place and can provide what I need. I’ve bought books and am reading and studying. I have no house building experience at all. A friend of ours was a contractor in his younger days and wants to help.

So this is what I’m thinking about. It will be a lot of work and a huge upheaval, but I have a deep down conviction that this is what I need to do.
Bay I can't begin to tell you how much I would encourage both, you and your husband to live you're dreams. Life is so short, we are on plant earth for just a speck of time in the grand scheme of things. Use what the Good Lord gave you, to live your dreams and be happy happy happy. But don't forget to thank Him everyday, for the life He gave you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
God led us to this place. He paved the way for us. Everything fell into place for us to move here. Our daughter found this place the day it went up for bid. It was a HUD repo. We won the bid, sight unseen. We sold land that we had over the phone to a friend. We sold our house on a handshake deal to a friend of a friend. God was there, helping us along.

It broke our hearts when DD and family moved away. Our reason for being here is gone.

Our neighbor bought a sawmill from a friend of ours. It got me thinking…… I do believe God is showing me a door, it’s up to me to open it and begin my journey. He will be with me and I do thank him for all the wonders in my life.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I can say is this: Until your husband shares the dream, It will be a huge struggle. If God is in it, and your husband is not, PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! Pray that God will EITHER bring your husband to share your dream, OR give you contentment in your current circumstances. When you are both on the same page, "a cord of three strands is not easily broken!" I have a personal story that I'll share with you one day regarding spouses who do not share the same dream, and how God, with HIS infinite sense of humor can "fix things" in a way that only HE is capable of doing.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LG, my husband will gripe, complain, but will come along with me on the crazy train. I keep life interesting for him. LOL

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule I think the cord wood house sounds wonderful! I have cruised through a few sites on cordwood building. I am trying to talk a friend into building a cordwood sauna at his house.

AS you have found out with your DD, you can't tie your dreams to someone else's life.
You have done so much where you are, it would be a shame to leave it just to be near something that may not even happen. If you love the other place better, and it suits you and your lifestyle better - go for it. But don't use the ties to others as the only reason to move.

Latest posts