Crealbilly Wood Working thread

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are OK, but I would not want one.
I don't like to have wine bottles out like that. Not a great way to store wine, light is the enemy for any length of time.
I personally, would prefer something like this:
upload_2019-8-30_10-34-20.png

Set it in a closet for long term wine storage, set it on a counter for quick easy access.

BUT, it wouldn't show off your wonderful labels so well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I vote for tacky. At $190 I vote for THAT GUY IS AN IDIOT.

So I guess we blew that idea out of the water. Next? :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Making flat ones out of big round ones, with my sawmill.

But my supervisor was very demanding... She even inspected my sawdust to make sure it was compatible with her curls. Mom & dad are going to have fun washing out all that sticky maple sawdust out of her hair. I love being pawpaw :lol:
5059.jpeg

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter - Would love to see photos of what you are working on next. We are getting our sawmill going again and about to start cutting. Have you ever milled up anything like Yellow Tulip Poplar or American Beech?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter - Would love to see photos of what you are working on next. We are getting our sawmill going again and about to start cutting. Have you ever milled up anything like Yellow Tulip Poplar or American Beech?

I've cut a lot of poplar. It's perhaps the easiest to saw. Poplar is very soft so the saw blade buzzes right through poplar. Its really weak lumber so I wouldn't use it for any structural members. I've sawed a few nice beech but logs. It smells like beer and the contrast between the heart and sapwood can make for some really interesting figure when book matching. Have a look here I have a couple of different sawing methods documented to help you get the most out of your logs. The first picture on the left on the Flat Sawing Book Matching slide is American Beech. The second picture is red maple.

https://sites.google.com/site/millscustomsawing/logs-to-lumber-1

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter
Any advice on where to find a good plan for making a cabinet to set in my kitchen? Do you have a favorite site that you go to for plans?
I need a plan set that can be easily adjusted for size. We have a specific size we want to make, which is not a typical size. It will be for my canned goods and equipment and still fit the space on the empty wall.
It will be painted, so plywood or other will probably be used. No need to make it out of nice maple or oak just to paint it. The old plywood cabinets that are there already are painted.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter
Any advice on where to find a good plan for making a cabinet to set in my kitchen? Do you have a favorite site that you go to for plans?
I need a plan set that can be easily adjusted for size. We have a specific size we want to make, which is not a typical size. It will be for my canned goods and equipment and still fit the space on the empty wall.
It will be painted, so plywood or other will probably be used. No need to make it out of nice maple or oak just to paint it. The old plywood cabinets that are there already are painted.

Kitchen cabinets are very standard with regards to depth to fit counter tops and height for the countertop. Kind of like building a bed. Buy the box spring first then build the bed to fit the box spring.
So unless your short and need a low countertop or tall and need higher countertops. The established standard is for the top of the countertop to fall about 36 inches above the floor. 36" is the accepted is standard is that base cabinet manufacturers build all their cabinets to a height of 34 1/2 inches, assuming the countertop thickness will be 1 1/2 inches which is the standard for countertop thickness.

As for width... It is highly dependent on how the kitchen cabinets will be set up and how many there are...

I've never used any plans really. I mean its just a basic cabinet design, the doors and drawers design are what makes the cabinet what it is.

I'm sure you can find a lot of plans searching the internet. Grab one or two you like and post them here. We can discuss the details more so you can get a feel for how hard or easy it might be to build what you like. Most all kitchen cabinets are in the easy category.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It will be more of a bookcase with doors and is just for storage. There is an entire blank wall in that area of the kitchen, and I have a cheap ($20), Target bookcase sitting along right now. Not nearly big enough and falling apart after 3 years of use. DH was nice enough to install a TV on that wall, so now the cabinet will need to be shorter than that height.

The kitchen cabinet that needs to be made after that one will be a regular kitchen cabinet style, but bar height to match the oak bar stool that I have sitting there. That one will be home for my grain mill and assorted utensils. We have an old cutting board that DH got from his step-father who got it from his uncles butcher shop. It will be part of the top, with a tile counter-top behind it. I may use granite tiles for that. My mom always sits in that chair while I cook for the holidays, so I would like to make a nice place for her to sit and she can help with chopping veggies or something. At least it would be a place for her to set her drink down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It will be more of a bookcase with doors and is just for storage. There is an entire blank wall in that area of the kitchen, and I have a cheap ($20), Target bookcase sitting along right now. Not nearly big enough and falling apart after 3 years of use. DH was nice enough to install a TV on that wall, so now the cabinet will need to be shorter than that height.

The kitchen cabinet that needs to be made after that one will be a regular kitchen cabinet style, but bar height to match the oak bar stool that I have sitting there. That one will be home for my grain mill and assorted utensils. We have an old cutting board that DH got from his step-father who got it from his uncles butcher shop. It will be part of the top, with a tile counter-top behind it. I may use granite tiles for that. My mom always sits in that chair while I cook for the holidays, so I would like to make a nice place for her to sit and she can help with chopping veggies or something. At least it would be a place for her to set her drink down.

I'm very much a visual kind of guy. Do you have a picture of the existing cabinets and a picture of where you would like the new cabinets to go?