1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help my first pig.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Crealbilly Wood Working thread

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by crealbilly, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Oct 5, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

This is a better example. Easy Smeazy :)

uploadfromtaptalk1412726317920.jpg

IMG_20171005_171817.jpg

Here's the filters I set on my phone but just about all picture software has these filters nowadays.

Screenshot_2017-10-05-17-39-44.png .
    Screenshot_2017-10-05-17-40-06.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    sumi likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2017
    CrealCritter

This picture would be awesome to practice on - great starter picture. Give it a try, a scroll saw is like a big sawing machine with a blade instead of a needle.

Red.1.jpg

IMG_20171005_175351.jpg

sumi and baymule like this.
  3. Oct 6, 2017
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

Yes, looking forward to it! I have the scroll saw. I won't be able to get to it for about two weeks, but THANKS for taking the time for such a detailed answer. I'm thinking it might be a neat way to do a few special things before Christmas.

sumi likes this.
  4. Oct 6, 2017
    CrealCritter

:Thumbs_up

This cheap spray adhesive is good. Just a light mist is all you need and after tear off the paper, you can remove the little bits of paper and adhesive with a old rag soaked in acetone
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-General-Purpose-Spray-Adhesive-10-25-oz/19412027

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. Oct 6, 2017
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC Almost Self-Reliant

Crealbilly, do you feel like taking some pics of your workspace and posting them? I for one would like to see where you craft this great stuff.

Don’t worry about messy… I’ve noticed that most of the truly utilised workshops are messy, and most kind of rarely get really tidied up.

I posted some pics of my fragmented, spread-out situation(s). Shown in pics here, though a few minor details have changed since I posted the pics. Check pages 1 & 3 in this old thread:
    https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/doc_gonzos-man-cave.11491/

sumi and crealbilly like this.
  6. Oct 6, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

I like your work space Joel, it looks like it is used and used very well to achieve the things you want to do.

I don't have woodworking skills, I stand in the presence of greatness and I am in awe.

I am a chainsaw carpenter. I know diddly squat about carpentry but I manage to stick things together to make something useful. it's just not pretty.... not square..... it's off kilter and whomp-ey-jawed...

sumi, crealbilly and milkmansdaughter like this.
  7. Oct 6, 2017
    CrealCritter

I used to had a pretty decent business before Oboma took office and the economy tanked. I did some portable sawmilling with my wood mizer. Man I could tell you some stories. One that comes to mind I took a job sawing like 20 huge walnut trees. Well at the time I took the job I had no idea just how allergic I was to green / wet black walnut saw dust. I was sawing away and about 1/2 way through the job when I started itching bad. I mean BAD... I looked down my tee-shirt and I was covered in hives.

The man and his wife were out there with tailing (taking boards off the sawmill as I cut the and stacking them onto the forks of my bobcat. I didn't care who was around I was itching so bad... I stripped down butt naked and high tailed it for the creek behind their house. I jumped in a sat there for a good 10 mins. It felt so good just sitting there in the creek mud. When my itching subsided a little bit I stood up and grabbed a bunch of mud, coved up my jewels then ran to my truck and drove home, still butt naked mind you. I got in the house and jumped in the tub.

I called the guy after I got out of the tub. He said he and his wife were in tears laughing so hard at what i did. I waited a couple of days and went back and finished the job. The guy and his wife both became good friends of mine afterward. When the guy Jim died, his wife would call me up to come help fix things things around the house - she is a real sweetheart and all but honestly sometimes there was just a few real minor things that needed fixing. I think she was lonely more than anything and just liked my company.

baymule likes this.
  8. Oct 6, 2017
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

That's a funny story!

Back to the workshops, if they are used (worked in), they are going to be messy and who cares? It's not a butchers' shop :) I love seeing the wood art and creations. I can barely nail a box together, so I too am in awe of this stuff you are creating.