Crealbilly Wood Working thread

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you able to re-use some of those jigs for later projects? If so, then not so bad. It's setting up something for first-time use that's time consuming.

Most of the time yes... For example I spent a number of hours building a adjustable circle cutting jig for my router. I can now cut 1" though 10" diameter circles with my router. Needless to say the jig has been used numerous times over the years.

If I need like only a hand full of repetitive cuts, I just set up which ever machine I'm using to make the cuts. It could be something as simple as clamping a stop block to the table of my mitersaw for example.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never did post a picture of the underseat solid maple speaker box for the veggie hauler. But here it is loaded with 2 10" subwoofers and 2 6 1/2" midrange drivers. After all was said and done, I ended up with closed enclosures of 1.07 cubic ft for each subwoofer and .27 cubic ft for each midrange. The box was a challenge for me not a 90 degree angle in any of the joints. The face radius cut to fit perfectly over the drive shaft hump was the worst. But I got it done after a little frustration. Each individual chamber is air tight, so all of my cuts had to be on the money and believe it or not I didn't make one mistake - I think that might be a first ever for me.

Anyways it's fastened together with construction screws and glued with titebond #1 (original) wood glue which is the only wood glue that doesn't impede acoustical characteristics of wood (beside horse hid glue). Its finished a few thin coats of poly urethane. The speaker box rocks... I was so glad to get rid of that thump thump thump that you hear from speaker boxes made of MDF and covered in carpet :( this box really made the bass come alive and now my truck sounds like a good high quality home stereo.

Loaded with speakers the thing weighes just a little under 123 lbs. It's solid 3/4" thick maple. It took my son and me to carry it out of the shop and position it under the backseat of the veggie hauler. It fit like a glove and was almost like I knew what I was doing or something. My son kept saying it's not gonna fit. I kept saying I measured twice and cut once :) when we got it in and it fit, I said to him "see son - just like down town but this is better because it's the country." He thought that was pretty funny.

IMG_20171205_203152.jpg

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you able to re-use some of those jigs for later projects? If so, then not so bad. It's setting up something for first-time use that's time consuming.
Most of the time yes... For example I spent a number of hours building a adjustable circle cutting jig for my router. I can now cut 1" though 10" diameter circles with my router. Needless to say the jig has been used numerous times over the years.

If I need like only a hand full of repetitive cuts, I just set up which ever machine I'm using to make the cuts. It could be something as simple as clamping a stop block to the table of my mitersaw for example.
CC, I’d guess you’re aware of the forums & other websites where people show and explain the jigs they’ve designed and/or been using. There are a lot of them related to wood as the material, and a fair number related to metal.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You've made some fine projects with that sawmill. I'm not talented enough to build furniture- now the mother in law actually took our scraps and made a whole entertainment center with it! If I can dig it up sometime, we used a huge live edge slab and I wood-burned on it for our bed's head and foot boards. Would love to share sometime. Do keep sharing photos here.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sumi that is absolutely awesome do you know how old?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm floored that such beautiful work is left out in the weather!