Crealbilly Wood Working thread

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm floored that such beautiful work is left out in the weather!

Looks like it was burned after peeling, which really helps with weather resistance. Of course you don't want to burn it to the point of charring though.

I can't tell what kind of tree it was, but I looks like it's some kind of pine which is closed grain that also helps with weather resistance also.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi that is absolutely awesome do you know how old?
I don't know? There wasn't any signs up with info about it, but I can do some digging today, if I get time!

Wow I'm floored, its such beautiful spiritual work. Thanks you Sumi, you made my day - your awesome.
You're welcome :hugs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Side note: I went to look at a rental house in a nearby town and the landlord's wood carving workshop was just across the road. It reminded me of you and your wood work :) He made the doors. The walls are very old! He told us the building used to be a slaughter yard, many years ago.

View attachment 4276

I love looking at the architecture in Ireland - so cool. I wished I could come for a visit / sight seeing tour. I have a good friend name Jaz in Ireland who promised me a couple of pints of ale if I ever come to visit :) it's so tempting...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, what are you waiting for? There are loads of awesome things to see here and the beers and ales are legendary ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thought of you when I saw this at Cahir castle today

IMG_20180425_131336.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not sure what to call this... Is it a childs rocker or is it a baby doll cradle ? Well I guess it's both. So I guess I'll call it a child's rockin' doll cradle.

It's made of flat sawn wide board sawmill red maple. No special joinery or fancy woodworking. Just quick and easy glue, screws and butt joints. Finish is 3 coats clear oil based polyurethane.

My grand daughters absolutely love it - yes... more satisfied customers :)

Front
IMG_20180701_244249619.jpg

Side
IMG_20180701_244306294.jpg

Bottom
IMG_20180701_011200087.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thought of you when I saw this at Cahir castle today

View attachment 7110

Guess I'm not so good at keeping up with threads but again I'm floored at the artistry in this piece. Thank you for posting it @sumi. Not to mention the carvings which are awesome but the 3 different joints to join the wood together shows skill and great knowledge of how real wood moves with the seasons and how to keep water from pooling in the joints so they don't self destruct over time. Even the checks (cracks) in the wood are correctly placed for longevity and structure integrity. What a great example of true Craftsmanship at work! I would love to be a student of the person who did this work. Man what I could learn from them!

I just can't stop looking at this piece in amazement. I know it's just 4 branches but look closer and you'll see why I'm so interested...

The pinned bridle joint (lower left) is a work of art. It is even sloped on the bottom to shed water. Imagine if you will rain. Rain water drips off the dragon head, flows down the curved verical, passes through the bridle joint and drips off the lower sloped side of the bridle joint. Not only did the artist nkow this was going to happen he/she celebrated it by cutting deeply into the vertical that forms the top of the bridle joint - it's absolutely brilliant!

Honestly if you took me to this place you might get tired of waiting on me because in all honesty I could look at these 4 joined and carved branches for hours.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter had one of those baby doll/rocking chairs when she was small. My sister found it at a craft fair. Daughter loved it. It was pine, not near as pretty as yours!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I saw similar pieces around as I travel. If I see more I'll get you more pics, if you like. And more close-up ones. I don't notice the details like you do, thanks for pointing that out! I do love seeing things like that though. I was in Tramore this afternoon and someone there at the beach carved these HUGE faces out of wood, right there in the parking area. Wish I had my camera with me...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter, I've got an odd question for you. I don't know much about wood costs, or labor involved in these, but some friends and I have been having a conversation about simple caskets. Could you look at these for me, and tell me if these are marked excessively high for a "green" certification, or is that really an honest fair price? It seems crazy high for a simple rectangular pine box. Maybe I'm the crazy one. http://www.naturescasket.com/
I'd love your opinion!