Cream cheese - your favorite way to use it?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Melt in a saucepan with some milk until a creamy sauce, add grated parmesan and some parsley/Basil and serve over pasta.:drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well look what I did, now everyone is :drool :lol:
OK, that caramel sauce:
It all started with a visit to Pioneer Woman's blog. Stay away from it if you are watching what you eat! It will drag you under in an instant. But here's the link just in case you want it http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/ice-cream-pie-with-easy-caramel-sauce/
Now, this sauce goes on top of her ice cream pie which looks divine. But I only needed the caramel. So here's the caramel:
Ingredients

* 4 Tablespoons Butter
* 1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
* cups Half-and-half
* Pinch Of Salt
* 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
My Additions:
*****I add a splash of rum and increase the salt to 1/2 t because I wanted a salty caramel sauce. Mmmmm, salty.
Preparation Instructions

To make the caramel sauce:

Mix butter, brown sugar, half & half, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Add vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off heat and pour sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.

This would go great with the chocolate sauce topic I just saw.
Should this be a new topic?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I mix: a stick of butter, a block of cream cheese, 1/4 cup parm cheese and a little bit of milk....MMMMMmmmm! Forgot to add...heat it up over the stove ;)

Easy alfredo :drool

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I mix crushed pinapple with cream cheese and spread it on crackers. I also make alot of dips with cream cheese...mmmm! I always have at least four bricks of cream cheese in my fridge at a time! It lasts forever and we eat alot of it!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Place cream cheese on plate, warm to room temp. Pour A1 sauce overall. Spread on triscuits. YUM!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just recently, I made a cheese sauce. melt a lick of butter in sauce pan, add cornstarch not much), add milk, about a cup, mix in cream cheese, cut up into small pieces, when melted, add shredded sharp cheddar, about two cups. Once all is melted, add about a tbsp of paprika and salt to taste, and then spice up as you like--either cayenne, or hot sauce. You can heat it up and pour on nachos, or cauliflower or broccoli , you can use it cold as a spread similar to cheeze whiz ( but ohh so much better). If you can't use it up all the way, you can freeze it.

Also my favourite dip is softened cream cheese, mixed with a coupla cloves of crushed/.minced garlic, a few splashes of hot sauce, serve with toasted pita triangles....mmmmmm!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Am I the only one that cuts an Everything bagel, smears it good with cream cheese and puts it in the toaster oven? :drool So simple but so good,

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Am I the only one that cuts an Everything bagel, smears it good with cream cheese and puts it in the toaster oven? :drool So simple but so good,
I thought that was a given. I was thinking of stuff not always made. The alfredo sauce is ont he list for supper tomorrow night. :drool