Cream-top, unhomogenized milk

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I tried a little bit last night (1/2 cup) and a little with breakfast (1/2 cup). And have spent all morning with sniffles, out of the blue. Now this could be coincidence... Next time I get some, I'll try it again just to see.

OTOH - DH liked the flavor of it with his cereal. So I may get it for that - some of it can go to yogurt and some to his cereal, and maybe some to coffee.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Well, I tried a little bit last night (1/2 cup) and a little with breakfast (1/2 cup). And have spent all morning with sniffles, out of the blue. Now this could be coincidence... Next time I get some, I'll try it again just to see.

OTOH - DH liked the flavor of it with his cereal. So I may get it for that - some of it can go to yogurt and some to his cereal, and maybe some to coffee.
Very likely its correlated.
Can you get your hands on some Organic Pastures?
I know its spendy, but its worth every penny for the health benfits it provides.
Oh, and make cultured yogurt to try yourself as well.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
AnnaRaven said:

I know its spendy, but its worth every penny for the health benfits it provides.
I don't know what "organic pastures" is. I figured I'd try the unhomogenized milk to see if there was a difference in my tolerance of it. This brand (the only one TJs carries) was almost 2x the cost of regular milk. That's fine for occasional use but not something I'm going to do often. More pricy? Not worth it to me.

I make the yogurt for myself (and DH can have some too). I've made yogurt for years. It's one of my primary sources of dairy, since I normally don't do well with drinking milk. Just never tried the cream-top milk for it.

ETA: it's possibly related but, since this is cold and flu season, also possibly unrelated. So I'm not going to decide without another test of it sometime later...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
AnnaRaven said:

I don't know what "organic pastures" is. I figured I'd try the unhomogenized milk to see if there was a difference in my tolerance of it. This brand (the only one TJs carries) was almost 2x the cost of regular milk. That's fine for occasional use but not something I'm going to do often. More pricy? Not worth it to me.

I make the yogurt for myself (and DH can have some too). I've made yogurt for years. It's one of my primary sources of dairy, since I normally don't do well with drinking milk. Just never tried the cream-top milk for it.

ETA: it's possibly related but, since this is cold and flu season, also possibly unrelated. So I'm not going to decide without another test of it sometime later...
www.organicpastures.com :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey BB-- I will do a little check around here for anyone selling it, but this isn't really a dairy-cow area. I do know of one dairy operation nearby, but the place is literally so filthy looking I would never set foot on their property. It is absolutely disgusting. Nasty manure heaps everywhere, bucket calves all cooped up in those little pens, smelly silage spilling out into the roadway, even the occassional dead cow in the ditch waiting for pickup.

Is there any particular way you should treat raw milk before you drink it? What is that cow fever I've always heard of that you get from drinking raw milk? Just curious.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know some cheeses are best to make with raw milk but I don't know which ones. Anyone have any suggestions? I would be interested in learning to make simple cheeses. How does one start?

Is the cream-top better for making some cheeses? If so, which ones? Is it useful to get the cream-top and use the skim milk from it for cheese and then save the cream for cheese?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Hey BB-- I will do a little check around here for anyone selling it, but this isn't really a dairy-cow area. I do know of one dairy operation nearby, but the place is literally so filthy looking I would never set foot on their property. It is absolutely disgusting. Nasty manure heaps everywhere, bucket calves all cooped up in those little pens, smelly silage spilling out into the roadway, even the occassional dead cow in the ditch waiting for pickup.

Is there any particular way you should treat raw milk before you drink it? What is that cow fever I've always heard of that you get from drinking raw milk? Just curious.
Find a clean dairy, and you will not need to treat the milk at all.

The fever thing, is probably Johns disease, but its not all that common.
Honestly, the fervor of rumors is way out of proportion.

You can also make cryptic inquiries on Craigs list, saying that you are looking for a cow share. Keep it very simple like that ans see what happens.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:

Shucks, really sorrry to hear of your sniffles.

I'm only a beginning cheese maker this year. So, I'm really no help on cheese.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I looked at the receipt for the milk I bought: $3.79 a half gallon! My bad! I must have been looking at the price on the milk next to it or something.

There is a new(ish) home cheese making book out. I don't know the name of it, but it is on the "new releases" shelf at my local library. Most of the recipes look pretty straightforward; you just gotta get the starter stuff somewhere.