Creative Uses for Baling Twine

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My sister like many of us uses lots baled hay to feed her animals every year. With each bale she feeds she has several feet of sisal twine that needs a good use.

My sister has poised a challenge for all of my pals here on SS. She is looking for as many uses for baling twine as humanly possible and figured where better to ask! :D Sh also insists that you all dig deep and be VERY creative! See if you can come with something ELSE that she hasn't already done or though of. :D

1. Tie a sack
2. Make a halter
3. Make a lead rope
4. Make a collar
5. Repair a horse blanket
6. Stirrup keeper
7. Connect strap for front and back girth on saddle
8. Hang a barn fan
9. Bucket handle
10. Belt to hold up your britches
11. Tarp tie
12. Christmas tree garland
13. Drag for muck bucket
14. Curtain tie backs
15. Collection string for recycling your plastic jugs
16. Fence repair
17. Woven together to provide an erosion control mat
18. Hay net

Add to the list!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can knit or crochet it into grocery bags. I've made a bag using strips of plastic grocery bags. I think the twine would actually make a stronger bag.

Almost forgot: you can also braid it together to make a mud rug for your doorways.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I use it to tie up all my plants (along with lead ropes and halters, gate ties, etc).

I didn't think of weaving it! I am going to have to try that :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ours are made from nylon looking material.

I use it as my laundry line. Next time I'll braid them.
We braid it for bucket handles.
Make fences using sticks and weaving the twine around the sticks, looks pretty neat too.
Make hinges for small gates
Put some in emergency kits
Keep some in car just in case
Dog leash, nicer if braided.
Use as gate latch, if looped around post or hook.
Hang feeders and waterers

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can make a nice "rubby thing" for shining up horses' coats, basically the same way you would do it with a "rope" of straw. It is hard to explain, but look at older British horse books (eg. BHSA type stuff) for diagrams... they really do work nicely.

I use baling twine, especially the synthetic stuff from big square bales (which is pretty heavy duty) for basically all my rope needs around here - tying things on top of the car, ties for newly planted trees, anything that needs to be temporarily hinged together, tomato ties, etc etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use it to keep gates closed, for the most part. Anything I need string for, baling twine is it.

One year I used some really golden baling twine to make a Christmas tree garland and tied gingham bows on it. Accented with tiny bunches of Indian Corn...it turned out lovely!

You can use the twine to recane/reweave a chair bottom, stuff a dog bed casing with it, make baskets, macrame into pot/plant holders, to hang rustic pictures, tie tomatoes, chicken nesting material that is easily disposed of when soiled~just cut it into about foot long lengths and coil into the nests.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My top 4 uses:

1. Weaving baskets, like lobster baskets.
2. Tying onto sticks, then using to mark rows in the gardens while planting.
3. Burning in a tight wad in the smoker during beekeeping inspections.
4. Tying up tomato plants to stakes/posts.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use my baler twine to tie the gates closed when there is high wind. I'm always afraid the gates will fly open and let Mylie wreak havoc all over the countryside LOL

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
You can make a nice "rubby thing" for shining up horses' coats, basically the same way you would do it with a "rope" of straw. It is hard to explain, but look at older British horse books (eg. BHSA type stuff) for diagrams... they really do work nicely.

Pat
I have one of those, I use it to give my horse a rub down after every ride... she loves it too :) I was trying to figure out how to describe it...

Latest posts