Creative Uses for Baling Twine

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

That is funny! I would love to see some pictures of your coop!

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how different the coop looks depending on how the person that builds it decides to finish it. I have had up to 4 in mine before, but a couple of those were Cornish/Rock slow growers that weighed about 9 pounds each. (So for anybody out there wondering the perches and floors HAVE been weight tested! :gig )

Maybe we should take this discussion over to my journal thread. Farm's Journal I don't want to slow down the creative minds over here.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
patandchickens said:
You can make a nice "rubby thing" for shining up horses' coats, basically the same way you would do it with a "rope" of straw. It is hard to explain, but look at older British horse books (eg. BHSA type stuff) for diagrams... they really do work nicely.

Pat
I have one of those, I use it to give my horse a rub down after every ride... she loves it too :) I was trying to figure out how to describe it...
Can you explain to me how to make the rubby thing?

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we either use ours to start campfires or I use it to tie up plants and trees to their stakes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth -- I do not think I can adequately describe the official BHSA, British-pony-club, complicated version. Basically you're twisting straw (or a bunch of baling twine) into a very approximate rope, then weaving it thru itself to make sort of a brush-sized rectangle.

However, you can do just about as well with straw (and thus I presume could do as well with a bunch o natural baler twine) by making a rough twisted rope about 3" wide and maybe 2" long, then folding it in thirds so it is brush-sized. Use for rubbing up a shine, or removing saddle marks from a dry horse, or keep a cruddy one for rubbing dry mud off legs.

The hunk you make this way will not be as tidy and British, nor will it last nearly as long, as the proper one that is woven back and forth through itself; but it will still work.

If you want pics and diagrams of making the complicated kind, try older British pony club manuals, or there MAY be an illustration in Susan Harris' book Grooming to Win, if you have access to that.

Pat

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
If you want pics and diagrams of making the complicated kind, try older British pony club manuals, or there MAY be an illustration in Susan Harris' book Grooming to Win, if you have access to that.
Pat
Now to temporarily hi-jack my own thread (again) ... I LOVE Susan Harris books! REALLY a good writer. Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement is among my favorite books.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Joining your hijack....I met Susan Harris when I was a teen, taking a certification course for a camp horsemanship safety thingy for riding instructors. She would draw constantly, all day long, as her primary way to evaluate us in each of our teaching segments. I had those drawings for many years. I don't know that she had written much if anything at that time, but I thought she was a great person and I really enjoyed her.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Joining your hijack....I met Susan Harris when I was a teen, taking a certification course for a camp horsemanship safety thingy for riding instructors. She would draw constantly, all day long, as her primary way to evaluate us in each of our teaching segments. I had those drawings for many years. I don't know that she had written much if anything at that time, but I thought she was a great person and I really enjoyed her.
Now I AM jealous!

She really has a wonderful understanding of the horse and what a great illustrator!