1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning ball caps, help please! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

CSA/ Farm sharing anyone??

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by milkmansdaughter, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Feb 10, 2018
    Calista

Calista Lovin' The Homestead

Ha, great minds think alike! We, too, have an Indian connection on the Nisqually River for our fresh-caught salmon, 20 to 30 pounds at a time for only $4 a pound. I could eat salmon every day.

And thank you so much for pointing out the thyroid connection with kale, as I am hypothyroid and my spidey sense must have realized that nasty stuff wouldn't be good for me.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  2. Feb 10, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

In light of all the problems with establishing a CSA, maybe it's time to return to the old fashioned vegetable truck? Around these parts you can see people hawking veggies from the back of trucks all spring and summer, usually what's in season such as ramps, peaches, apples, sweet corn, etc. but I don't see why one couldn't have a variety truck, parked in a participating parking lot~bank, supermarket, fast food restaurant, senior center~ in which you offered whatever was in season, along with your eggs and honey.

I'm betting you could do quite a brisk business if you were faithful to be there on certain days and times. Don't know what kind of vendors license you'd have to have, if any, but it would get you a name in the area before you branched out further into a CSA type business.

If you live close to a town, you may even get to where you have your own greenhouse there and can sell right off your land, so the customers come to you.

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  3. Feb 10, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

There are sellers on the corner at intersections here fairly regularly. There are many spots that have a large public right of way big enough to fit several cars. Some talk to small businesses and set up in their parking lot by the road.

Usually people who only have one or two big harvests of something. Cherries are a big example. Also tree saplings.

sumi likes this.