Cure for Urinary Tract Infections

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Next time you get a UTI from e-coli, the most common cause of UTIs, go to the health food store and get some D-Mannose to take. It is a sugar that clings to the e-coli bacteria in such a way that the bacteria can't cling to the urinary tract walls. You just flush the bacteria out of your system. The D-mannose is very effective, not expensive, and most importantly, does not mess with your intestinal flora or other beneficial bacteria. I am really excited about this stuff; my mom has had back-to-back UTIs for years, and has taken about every antibiotic there is. Why her medical doctors don't know about this is beyond me, but her dermatologist told her about it about 6 months ago, and I immediately got her some. She has had no UTIs since. :celebrate
Lots of people just take it when they start getting symptoms, but she takes it all the time. No side effects, no contra-indications. To top it off, the stuff tastes good.
You can get it in powder or pill form. D-mannose is found in cranberries and pineapple, but in much smaller quantities. I see that you can get it off Amazon, so that's handier than the health food store.
If you use this and it's effective for you, I urge you to spread the word to other folks, particularly women--and little girls!?! that are susceptible to UTIs. We need to stop using antibiotics for everything, where we can. :weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is AWESOME!!! My 8 yr. old niece has had them I swear since birth, just like I did :/ I'm definately trying it out!! Thanks!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have access to a health food store, but thanks. I'll see if there is some kind of a way to obtain it. I'll tell you though, that unless you have a C&S, you wouldn't really know if it was e-coli or another bacteria and the results take a while. To just treat a general uti there are several herbs that could help, but the one I'm pushing and trying lately is a tea made with corn silk. I was freaked out to learn that something my family just threw away for years, could have been used to treat an illness that can easily cost me over $300, if I go the medical route.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mannos will work in *some* cases of E. coli UTIs but, alas, uropathogenic strains of E. coli typically show mannos-resistant adhesion.

--Duguid JP. Clegg S. Wilson MI. The fimbrial and non-fimbrial haemagglutinins of Escherichia coli. J Med Microbiol. 1979;12:213227.
--Evans DJ., Jr Evans DG. Hhne C, et al. Hemolysin and K antigens in relation to serotype and hemagglutination type of Escherichia coli isolated from extraintestinal infections. J Clin Microbiol. 1981;13:171178.
--Green CP. Thomas VL. Hemagglutination of human type O erythrocytes, hemolysin production, and serogrouping of Escherichia coli isolates from patients with acute pyelonephritis, cystitis, and asymptomatic bacteriuria. Infect Immun. 1981;31:309315.

Nevertheless, it's worth a shot -- without the side-effects of antibiotics and without increasing the chance of increasing the population of antibiotic-resistant E. coli.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep cranberries in the freezer for just this reason, though I have read that to be effective you really need to drink unsweetened cranberry juice! I know this would be a problem for some (many!), so the pills would definitely be easier. (Though I quite like unsweetened cranberry, in small doses - I make the juice, and then eat the cooked berries :hide) Luckily I don't get UTIs often, haven't had one in years. I do have some corn silk in the herb cupboard just in case, but have never had the need to use it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Corn silk tea? do you save the browned corn silk when you are shucking corn or do you pull it when it is green and let it dry?

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks 4 the tip,,,is a good one...will look out for it....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
baymule said:
Corn silk tea? do you save the browned corn silk when you are shucking corn or do you pull it when it is green and let it dry?
That's what I am curious to know as well.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took the green silk when shucking, not the brown, and dried it gently in the dehydrator. I don't remember where I read that this can be helpful.

I remembered last night that another thing that I have found helpful in the past for UTIs is the herb Uva Ursi. I keep a dropper bottle of tincture in the herb cupboard. But, again, have not had to use it in a long time :weee

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you!! I'm growing corn this year, so will save some!