Custom Electric Bass Guitars

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No doubt about it, you have definitely followed your dream. I wish you many more years in building guitars.

You sound like a very fun and outgoing lady... thanks for the reply :)

I don't play the bass so much any more due to minor arthritis in my hands (old age). But I still do a good amount of wood working.

I guess the reason I love music so much is it's a universal language. If you learn it you can communicate with anyone in the world. For example watch & listen to this (remember this guy is blind) --->

After watching and listening tell me if that didn't stir up your soul. He definitely overcome fear... and reached down deep in his soul to communicate through the universal language of music directly to you!

Last edited:

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment. As you can see by the picture my husband and I love motorcycles. We live on 7 acres in the country and raise chickens and an ornery cat. :)

Ken plays a 12-string Alvarez guitar. He has been trying to learn Tommy Emmanuel's style.

Don't let that arthritis get you down!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment. As you can see by the picture my husband and I love motorcycles. We live on 7 acres in the country and raise chickens and an ornery cat. :)

Ken plays a 12-string Alvarez guitar. He has been trying to learn Tommy Emmanuel's style.

Don't let that arthritis get you down!

Tommy Emmanuel is a very talented musician. Never heard of him until you mentioned it here and YouTubed him.

Does your husband like Steve Howe?

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He has not BUT he is looking him up right now. :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This a a great thread, crealbilly. Very nice to see this work.

I play guitar, and have fooled around with bass but never owned one. I'm amazed you can build 8-string basses with such a graceful, narrow neck. Must be some very reliable reinforcing rod in there!

I've got a good friend who's a luthier — has mainly built mandolins, but works on acoustic guitars a lot as well as other fretted stringed instruments. It's fine, precise, delicate work.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This a a great thread, crealbilly. Very nice to see this work.

I play guitar, and have fooled around with bass but never owned one. I'm amazed you can build 8-string basses with such a graceful, narrow neck. Must be some very reliable reinforcing rod in there!

I've got a good friend who's a luthier — has mainly built mandolins, but works on acoustic guitars a lot as well as other fretted stringed instruments. It's fine, precise, delicate work.

Yes it is very detailed... Some measurements are very precise we're talking +/- thousands of an inch.

I usually use just one of the very best single two-way truss rods. But for this build I went with two of the very best two-way truss rods.

https://alliedlutherie.com/collections/truss-rods/products/mark-blanchard-bass-truss-rod

I know $52.00 plus shipping and handling just in truss rods alone... But it proved to be the right choice to make the neck extremely playable.

Also I wanted to add... All of my fretted basses are fretted with classical guitar fretwire and not bass fretwire.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ken really liked Steve Howe. He didn't care too much for the guitarist above.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am impressed with your work. You are an awesome artist in wood. Beautiful, just beautiful.