Daisy - Dawdling towards Delicious

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since I've finally figured out how to attach photos, here are some from this evening in the garden.

IMG_20200918_175545_553.jpg
IMG_20200918_175605_834.jpg
IMG_20200918_175317_896.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_175033_808.jpg
    IMG_20200918_175033_808.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 201

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I maybe should have planned seeding a bit better. I now have a bunch of baby seedlings that stuck their heads up at the same time. Now I will have to nurse them along until they are big enough to look after themselves. It will be 35C next week and the bugs are out in force. They are zucchini, watermelon and maybe cucumber (it's in a very dangerous bug spot but none of the other seeds from that pack worked so I didn't expect them to when I chucked them in the weed bucket!)

The ducks got into the wicking contraption and it certainly didn't keep bugs out as I'd hoped. So those seedlings got pulled up and put in pots and the ducks got locked in the back paddock with the tubs as baths haha. The crows are back stealing the eggs, but I'd rather the crows around over snakes sniffing about. I have only seen one so far but my neighbour has seen 3.

Next big job is to net the fruit trees. The ringneck parrots are back and at them already. I have secured the frame but won't be able to finalise it exactly as I want to as I need more hands than just mine. It's ok though because the peach tree is too young to fruit so I only really need to net half the area.

I switched the bunnies pen around so they are closer to the air conditioning again. They are just about finished their moult, they are great housemates, but really add to the cleaning at this time of year! The garden loves their litter , and they are cute, so easily forgiven.

IMG_20201115_143944_284.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. Your challenges (critters) are something new and fresh from my experience

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The birds love my garden, and I do love them, when they stick to the natives that I need help clipping and not the apple trees! I have put the nets up now, and so far so good, they havent found a way in but still stick around :) I dont really enjoy photography which is a shame as there are so many beautiful plants and animals here that would be easy to show off.

There are powerlines over head and the wild birds seem to line up on them to watch me in the garden. One day I will put a list here of those I see daily. It is quite funny when the pink and greys (galahs) come, because they play and cause a ruckus, they definitely have a sense of humour. I don't see that big flock as much as I used to because the lot across the road got developed from a grassy patch to a parking lot. I have seen them more lately since harvest started as they are grabbing the grain off the side of the road. There is a magpie family with a baby that lives about 200m away in the big gum trees. I have been swooped a few times by them but nothing more than warning shots, and now they are teaching their baby to fly, they bring it down into my yard and around the trees before going back to the big gums. I hear it most days around this time squarking from the powerlines as mumma leaves it to fly back to the tree. It is just about time for the black cockatoos to signal sunset, I love the sound of them but there are less and less in that flock each year :( they are endemic to the area but some ignorant farmers shoot them as they disagree that they are endangered because "there are plenty on my farm!". There are only plenty on the farms because they get an easy feed and their habitat is still shrinking despite what we know about the need for bushland areas. It does amuse me that those particular farmers are out smarted by bird brains year after year.

I am so pleased with my soil. Usually at this time of year the black sand forms a hard crust and everything just runs off it. Not this year. The soil under the trees on the west side, the grape vine and near the pond is just soaking up the water at in incredible rate. I have left the hose on for now near the pond for the ducks to play with while it waters. They grab the grubs that come up, pooping and splashing as the water soaks into the ground. The garden certainly looks a mess, but I am really so pleased with the visible improvement in the soil.

Now it is sunset and time to put the ducks to bed, feed the buns and settle back in for another lovely Saturday night on the sofa with my crochet :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i enjoy your descriptions of the variety there and the antics of all involved. :) we have a lot of different bird life here too and it is mostly because we are an oasis in the middle of farm fields that are often left bare for months at a time.

edited to add that i'm happy to hear your soils are improving. :) as an avid gardener interested in simple and sustainable ways to grow food i'm always so glad to hear that someone is seeing improved soils. :)

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a couple of bird feeders up and enjoy watching the birds. One harried parent bird brought her baby bird to the feeder. Now this baby bird was fully feathered and flew, following momma, Landed next to momma on one of the feeders with mouth open, begging for food! The exasperated momma bird was picking up birdseed and putting it in the baby's mouth, over and over again. So funny!