Daisy - Dawdling towards Delicious

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The zucchini seeds have sprouted and are looking strong so far, probably not far off flowering :) The sunflowers are starting to bloom so I planted a few more seeds today. I'll pick up another bag of seeds next run to town. I dug in the pumpkin seeds from the one I used in cooking the other day, not sure if they will work but worth a try. The tin bed out the back is almost ready for the next lot of veg to go in. Herbs are going great, still small plants but I am really pleased they haven't died!

The Mandarin and lime tree are loaded, so much so I think I will have to trim some of the new fruit, just way too many for such little trees. The lemon and other citrus are recovering from my lack of care after their fruiting period.

My neighbour gave me a Lucerne tree a few weeks ago, and it went well in the pot, but once I put it in the ground it started fading fast. I am not sure if it is unhappy with the full sun or unhappy with the soil. They are considered weeds by some so I figured it would grow anywhere! I'll give it a little more of a chance in the ground before I rip it up and try to save it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, if the tree went in the ground and full sunlight in full summer from a previously more protected area that could be a part of why it won't do so well at first. it may survive anyways once the top and bottom balance out again.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are products out there that you can spray on the leaves of new transplants to reduce the water loss they experience when they first get put out in full sun. I'm sure they have them in Australia too.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will look out for that, thanks :) could be a handy product for here! The Lucerne tree does have shade cloth around and over it, to stop the ducks getting to it but it is still a warm spot despite that. If it does die, I can probably offer to trim the neighbours tree for him and feed that to the ducks.

It looks like some plants are starting to suffer a bit in the heat today. It's been a pretty good run though, the soil has been well set up to handle it. More mulch out today. This week will be 40C so I will be back to watering every chance that I get.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will look out for that, thanks :) could be a handy product for here! The Lucerne tree does have shade cloth around and over it, to stop the ducks getting to it but it is still a warm spot despite that. If it does die, I can probably offer to trim the neighbours tree for him and feed that to the ducks.

It looks like some plants are starting to suffer a bit in the heat today. It's been a pretty good run though, the soil has been well set up to handle it. More mulch out today. This week will be 40C so I will be back to watering every chance that I get.

find a bit of clay and add it to the sandy soil. :) that helps hold the water and nutrients in place. you won't need much, but it will be a big help. the worms will also appreciate it. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Easiest way to add clay to your soil is to dig in some kitty litter- the old fashioned kind without perfumes and other stuff- the original stuff is just little pellets of clay.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some observations for future me - Veg garden beds are no good for under trees, the trees send up their feeder roots and strangle everything in the bed, even through a layer of very thick cardboard. Pots may work provided they are wobbled every so often to deter roots (growing down or growing up). Water trays under pots are ideal, but I only have a few so far to fit. Easy enough to rectify.

Today I have been digging out soil from a bed under a tree to use in pots. Placing the pots in a bucket of water and then I will use them for plants. I will have to find veggies that appreciate the small space of the pots, if not viable then I will stick to herbs in them.

I am trying a live mulch idea for the west side trees. These trees line a roadside drain. The trees were poisoned after run off from the road flooded that side of the property but they have recovered, albeit 1/3 of the size that they were. I have planted some mint between two trees - about 2m out from each trunk. Its been there a fair few months now and is not yet half a foot wide, so it is spreading very slowly giving me time to build up the soil with rabbit litter. I have re-fenced that side with tin to deter flooding in the future (more prone to "flash" floods than soaking mud type here). I want to see if the mint will help keep the soil from being washed away, while holding moisture over the summer months. Judging by the rate of growth so far it will be 5 years before I have to worry about mint strangling anything.

I have a little native tree out the front which I've really struggled to keep alive. Its quite beautiful and I dont want to lose it. I have planted creeping thyme under it to try and keep the area around cool in the afternoon sun. The thyme has taken well, very slow growing but it certainly is growing. I wont know if it has helped the tree until the thyme covered the area intended which could be 3 or 4 years. There are also bulbs in that area but continue to build on the soil with clippings and mulch so eventually there should be enough growing room for all involved.

The sunflowers are almost done, so I can use those pots along the front path for strawberries next :) going to try the alpine type. Strawberries seem to like this climate. I re-potted my new blueberry bush this morning but it is just a tiny baby. I am so excited about that and really pray I don't kill it!

Last edited:

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep losing this thread! Garden is going so, so well. Im stoked!

I really like eating my herb salad. A mix of green herb leaves that I pick and have with whatever protein im cooking that day. A squeeze of home grown lime and the neighbours tomatoes go down a treat! Herbs work well here, some second generation seeds have sprouted and I am ready to expand. I hope I can keep these going year round.

I havent found any kalette seeds :( but over summer I was pinching the baby leaves and these were beautiful to eat fresh, so I am going to keep doing that. I have one little plant that I nursed over summer and want it to seed this year for me as the only seeds I can find in store are curly kale and I like the flat stuff better!

I have a new bunch of weeds this season, not the same as usual, these seem native types. I've let the weather changes take care of most of them for me and probably had just as much success as the people who sprayed instead. We're going from rain to extreme heat and then back to rain again. The rain makes them sprout and the heat kills them off. So far so good! I think there are a few of these weeds that are edible, but I havent really looked too much into it as I have enough to eat this year :)

Blueberry bush is going well and almost ready for an even bigger pot! I considered putting it in the ground, but I know the bobtail lizards love berries and keeping it out of their reach might mean more for me when it fruits :D I still have a couple strawberries going and chuck the crap ones on the ground for the bobtails to enjoy. I am glad they returned after the kitten invasion!

Latest posts