Damn Wild Dogs Shoot em all

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well this morning one goat eaten clean thru, guts everywhere, my fav goat I retired, and one youngster not able to walk, doesn't seem like a broke leg, but chewed up bad enough and swollen etc, and third my baby goat I kept had both legs chewed up but walking and seemingly ok right now

shoot em all

2 pups in my barn where the hell did they come from lol I am there all the time lol well called animal control and they took the pups and those 2 pups were mean,,,,tried to chew up animal control guy lol

momma no where to be seen right now

got all my goats penned up in the horse barn near the house with little pasture etc until I can shoot momma dog

animal control said just wait for her to return for the pups and pull the trigger, I said no problem on that one

I got fort knox pasture fencing etc....but goes to show it can happen to all of us at any time what a waste ya know oh well, tis farm life and I accept it and move forward but just ticks me off.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Use an extra bullet for me. I never thought I could kill anything until things attack my critters.

Poor goaties. :(

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bad day here too, we have had a coyote lurking all day, I tried to get a shot off but I have to be super careful in my "neighborhood" as we have houses on all four sides of our property. Tonight is going to be a long night....Sorry about your goats :hugs

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure hope that mama dog comes back soon and you can shoot her! I'm so sorry about your goats!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
It seems you got the answer from animal control on being able to shoot dogs without prior intent but must warn others that it is a county by county state rule and should verify before doing it. Some allow non collared dogs to be shot on sight others don't, some if you have livestock while others don't count chickens, some only if they threaten humans. It is best to be proactive as then you can mitigate your damages, after the fact is too late unless you know the owners then you have to use small claims court but your babies are still gone.

I electrified the area I kept my chickens but it is not fool proof unless the dogs know of its presence and is taught to fear it, I had a few large dogs make it through the wires and only a loud yelp in the middle of the night let me know they were there but also made it into the yard and too scared to now leave it because of the shock they got while running full bore into it.

I would turn off the fence and go out with a bat and pistol to run them back out, they never returned. I believe other animals like bears will be wary once they are aware of the idea of a fence and can sense if it is electrified or not. They make a portable campers setup for people sleeping in bear country and saw a nice video of it working.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Sorry about your goats! Our neighbor's goat was killed by another neighbor's dog that got loose. It got out again not too long ago and was harassing other dogs, I took the pistol out and shot him. Owner came by earlier looking for him and said flat out "If you see him, shoot him"......so I did.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! :( That must have been a terrible find.

We had a dog roam onto our place a little while ago, and took off with my son's favorite chicken, we searched ALL day and couldn't find anything - the dog must have taken her somewhere. We found the dog, and it didn't have the chicken, very confusing.

We called the sheriff and last I heard the dogs (there were two at that house) have gone!