Damn Wild Dogs Shoot em all

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. I saw our friend's sheep after a dog attack. She survived but it was touch and go.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure hope you get her in your sights soon! If those pups were that mean, imagine how mean momma dog is!!!!!! BE CAREFULL! Make sure the FIRST shot count. An injured, feral dog is dangerous. I hope your babies make it. Poor things. Im so sorry.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh geez...sorry honey and what a terrible find. hang in there, baby.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I agree, shoot 'em all! and may you get momma dog with the first shot!

I'm sorry for your goat losses. :(

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shoot her when she comes back, then get some decent dogs of your own.

I have a black lab and three Great Pyr/Anatolian mix. The other day they has something big and brown cornered by the bank of the pond. They formed a semicircle between it and the goats. They were barking up a storm, slowly moving closer to it.

I got down there with an axe in my hand figuring that would be a quicker death than being ripped apart and found a dog about to pee himself silly.

I moved my dogs back far enough for him to make his escape. Based on how he hightailed it out of there, he won't be back.

I haven't lost a single critter to predators since I developed my A-Team. The Bear (he's my big guy) has taken on protecting the poultry as his primary responsibility. Buddy has taken a liking to the goats. Baby is just everywhere. And Rosy, the lab and smallest one at 55 pounds and half the size of The Bear, is Alpha Queen.

We have coyotes, bobcats, coons, possums, you name it, all around here. But the only time I see one is when it is dead and tore up.

Anyway, sorry for your loss, FC. It is that kind of stuff that led me to get all this protection. Four dogs on 8 acres is probably overkill, but I was just sick of losing animals (and sleep). It's worth it for the peace of mind.

Good luck getting the other dog, but I'll bet she has company.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
uneventful night other than Tony had to shoot the yearling goat darn it.
it wasn't her leg, it was her shoulder. we checked her out and she could not walk, let alone stand. very bad injury. only option was put her down

Tony had to load up Barker and the younger goat into the horse trailer and bury them over at my other farm---all this after a 12 hr work day for him Ugh

so 2 loss, the baby goat is doing ok

you should see my herd.....on constant alert. I never seen them so intense and I have been farming for 15 years with goats and this is my first attack

but Momma didn't come back that I seen. Leaving them in the protective pen for today. Need to check every inch of my pasture fence but pouring rain out there today.

yea my animal control was good. he said I can shoot anything on my property at any time threatening livestock. That was good to hear but I sure didn't need that knowledge to go and shoot anyway LOL

so all seems quiet now but just a plain darn pain
Thanks all, hope it all stays quiet at ur farms!
Always something isn't it lol ugh

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your goats FC. Hope you get momma before she can make more mean little pups.

sufficientforme said:
Bad day here too, we have had a coyote lurking all day, I tried to get a shot off but I have to be super careful in my "neighborhood" as we have houses on all four sides of our property. Tonight is going to be a long night....Sorry about your goats :hugs
Use a 20 gauge shotgun with a light load of #6 shot. You won't need to worry about any ricochet's, and the shot pattern will open up and drop pretty quick. The effective killing range on that would only be about 30 yards though. I don't think the pellets would even travel 100 yards.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh what an awful thing to find. You have my sympathy and support.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I got down there with an axe in my hand..
so.. you know you are my hero, right? and in another life a battle axe (or a pole axe) would have been my weapon of choice.

FC - sorry about having to put that little one down. what a blow for sure.

chin up. this too will pass.. and yes, its always something.

:)