Damummis'- Auf wiedersehen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
My head is spinning. I think I will go soak in a hot bath with a glass of wine, but first let me tell you about my day.

I woke up and went and did farm chores, nothing unusual. Went to work, cleaning a house for someone else. Thus my house got neglected again. Wonder why my allergies are acting up. As I am making someone else's bed my phone rings. It is DH. "Hey hun, can you get out of cleaning your afternoon cottage, I have to run to The Big City to look at a sled." "Your buying a sled?" "Well Dan wants to barter for the BMW." "Your getting rid of the BMW?" "Well, you know me and the horse trading. We could use a 2 up for The Nob (code word)." "Oh, Ok, I'll see what I can do." I call the next cottage. "I know you are expecting me this afternoon, but can I push it to tomorrow I would like to go with DH to The Big City." "That actually works out great, we have to go to TBC too. So go have fun and we will see you tomorrow." DH and I drive to TBC. I not only have a great time with great female interaction (Dan's SO) but I throw out there that a shipping container could work as barter as well. DH looked at me in total shock, so did Dan. "As a matter of fact I have a shipping container, box truck, sled or a 30ft refrigerated trailer. Choose" I almost peed myself. The look on DH's face was priceless. We left it at we needed to discuss it and we will all get back to each other. A lot to think about. We get back in the car and DH says, " I can't believe you brought up the shipping container, I totally forgot about that angle. Great thinking honey." So....

I could have a shipping container. But a box truck could be used for storage/work shop. Sled will be useful in the winter but then again buying one will almost guarantee a snowless winter. Now what could I do with a 30ft refrigerated trailer???? The possibilities are endless.

I did stop at the bookstore and picked up the Small Cabins book. They have plans for a shipping container plus some really cute cabin plans. I am getting even more itchy to get out of here. DH even mentioned something about putting the house on the market. He is serious. I remember him being this antsy before our move from Mass.

Just had to share, the tub is calling.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooooo. The incredible possibilities with a shipping container! You could have a shipping container house. I have also read about people burying them and making root cellars/storage for food out of them.

I can't wait to find out what you do!!!

Enjoy your bath and wine!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Refrigerated trailers also make GREAT mobile butcher shops! (How about a side business?)

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Refrigerated trailers also make GREAT mobile butcher shops! (How about a side business?)
Now there is an idea. The only problem with that is there is a custom butcher at the end of the road up at the Nob. I got SO excited to see that. Now I have to drive an hour to take any animals to slaughter. Monday morning I have to milk and load up Ol'Thelma first thing because she has an appointment and hour away. I am suppose to be there at 7:30. We will see how that goes. But the prospects of having a slaughter at the end of the road....... WHOOT!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I vote the trailer as well. Far less work to get it winter ready, as its insulated! Just add windows and a regular door.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am going to vote insulated trailer...cuz its insulated :D

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
DH just called and told me that the guy we are buying the Nob from called to tell him that he used our excavator to fix the tread on his dozer and because he was so grateful that DH let him use the excavator that he went and cleared some paths on our property. Less work for us. Oh, yay.

Both daughters came home from school today wanting to move. DD#1 had her clothes stolen while in gym and shoved in the toilet and DD#2 has been putting her heart into cheering and trying really hard to get the team ready for homecoming and all of a sudden the coach gave DD's solo time to her daughter. I think the conversation went something like,

DD#2: Barging in the front door. "Ok, I am ready to move. I am even ready to sleep in that little fold down spot in the camper if I have to."

DD#1: Following close behind. "Me too, I'll sleep in a tent if I have to."

Me and DH: "Really? What about the Boyfriends?"

Both: "Hey sometimes you gotta make sacrifices."

Me and DH: Blink, blink (stolen from OFG)

So EVERYONE is on board. And today when I was rudely cut in line at the bank by some older lady, that just about pushed me over the edge. Everyday the anxiousness gets worse.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Got a chipper on loan from a friend. We are planning on hitting the Nob tomorrow. My plan is to clear an area on some ledge to move the camper to. I am bringing a stew to see how cooking in a trailer is. This is my first trailer experience. I am so excited to get moving forward. But first I have to struggle thru packing clients to go back to their winter home. They won't need me till house closing time the middle of Oct, I hope. 2 down, 3 to go. Time for me slows way down. Same with DH. We are making plans to go up north at least 3 times a week. I am all jumpy inside. I haven't felt like this in a LONG time. I have to remember the camera.

Scampers off to find list.....

Status
Not open for further replies.