Dandelion syrup ???

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Was at a chicken swap and was perusing the many booths that had crafts, plants and other stuff. Several with goat milk soap and such. This one booth had some soap and some dandelion syrup. I asked and the girl said it is real good for people with allergies and helps with arthritis pain and gout. She said she had allergies to everything and that after she was taking this for awhile, she was able to stop all other allergy medicines. Now, I have alot of knee pain, scheduled for replacements in the late fall... but the allergies get to me in the spring. Lasts from now as the trees and all are starting to leaf, through orchard grass and then done. So they were offering a little taste and it was very sweet, and not at all bad flavored. Better than using honey from local bees.... so I bought a bottle. You use a teaspoon full a day. Anyone have any experience with it? Figured it couldn't hurt to try it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of dandelion for allergies. It helps with stomach and liver is all I remember.

Usually dandelion syrup is used as a honey substitute. You can find a lot of recipes for it. I eat the leaves in salad mix.

I've seen bee pollen used for allergies as well as actual local honey.

Cottonwood salve works some for joint or muscle pain. The cottonwood bud oil/salve I use on bruises and scrapes.

I think capsaicin helps more. I use a cream on my knee when it aches. I've thought about growing some hot chilis to dry and try to make my own.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made dandelion tea, wine and jelly.

Never heard about it being good for allergies. What the heck, it just might work. You got nothing to lose and it taste good. LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of these days I am going to make a batch of dandelion wine. What you think it would be good for?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Hubby's grandfather made dandelion wine. I am not a wine drinker... might drink 2 - 4 oz./mo. His dandelion wine was very thick, the most beautiful yellow/amber color, and sweet... oh so very sweet. Absolutely delightful on the tongue, and as it slid down the throat!!!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If it was sweet, then maybe there is no added sweetener in this, just dandelion syrup. I haven't stopped all other allergy medicine since I just started it.... figure it is going to take at least a week or more to see any real effect... but I am hoping.... even if it takes care of the most of it and I only have to take something extra when I am going to be out in the hayfield on the tractor, then I consider that good.... Pollen counts have been "very high" the last couple of days, and I have been feeling it. We'll see....

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As others stated, Main use of dandilion is for blood/liver health. its loaded with potassium and iron. Leaves and flowers are used in spring; roots in fall.
My knowledge was /is passed down from Grandmothers. It is not known for allergy relief.
May i suggest buying a good quality honey or comb from your local area? This is more recognized to help with allergens. Dandilion "honey" is the blossoms steamed/heated with water..then sugar added...finally lemon or citric acid to thicken..I utilize all parts of this plants..making teas, wine, coffee substitute and yes honey..

Latest posts