Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Welcome to the journaling crowd! :D Im anxious to see how it progresses!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks BB! I'll be glad when I'm caught up on the past and can start getting on with a bit more of the day to day. But, I've gotta admit that I'm having a blast going through the older pix and reliving how this all came about! :cool:

After the August trip, we finally made it out here again in early September.

September 7, 2009:

On this trip to AR, we came to meet up with a neighbor we hired to do our grading work and to get started on our chickens/ new temporary home.

A Beverly Hillbillies kind of pic:

Doc_gonzo starting on the hoop coop frame work:

The dozer, hard a work: (Thanks, DD! :D)

The hoop coop shaping up nicely:

Pepper Anne says the driveway is ready for gravel:

Looking North at our graded clearing:

Looking down the driveway to our clearing:

And at this point, we head back to TN, again. We had hoped to get our gravel in on this trip but it had been such a wet summer that the gravel pits couldn't get to the gravel for all of the rain that we'd had.

I'm excited to say that the next post will be about our final trip out here! :celebrate

Dawn

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What a great pictorial, I love it! All this stuff was done already when we moved here, it makes me appreciate how much work that must have been.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, savingdogs! :hugs

When we made our trips out here, it we usually put in 8 to 14 hour days, but we all made sure that we made it fun. I think the hardest part was getting the clearing done. The ad for the property listed it as being lightly wooded...I'd hate to think what heavily wooded would have been like! :gig

My mom and sis are in the center of this pic:

We were gonna take Bubba (our Aussie, he was already named when we got him and he's just a big goof, the name fits him soooo well) back to the small pond at the NE corner of the property and messed up. It was getting close to dark but we figured we had plenty of time to get there and back. We ended up at about the middle of our eastern line and decided to head back to camp as it was already fairly dark once we got in the woods. Didn't think to bring a headlamp or Bub's leash (incase we had to walk the right of way...we won't pull that one again. :th

Well, I'll post more pix either tonight or tomorrow, going to moms for a while here shortly to do laundry, real showers and to do maintenance on our aquariums.

Dawn

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Very cool! I'm gonna follow this thread. Can anyone start one? If so, I will when we move our trailer out to the fixer upper. Do you have more posted somewhere on your hoop coop? That looks real interesting! Thanks for your time!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Very cool! I'm gonna follow this thread. Can anyone start one? If so, I will when we move our trailer out to the fixer upper. Do you have more posted somewhere on your hoop coop? That looks real interesting! Thanks for your time!
:welcome snapshot!

Sure jump on in the water is fine. :p Many of us keep journals on this site. Just click on the Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals thread and start a post.

Be sure and start it with your name to make it easy for us to find later. :thumbsup

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi snapshot!

Yep, anyone can start a journel thread. Just hit the "Post A New Topic" button.

Here's a post from Nifty (the admin) about it.

Sufficient Self Journals

The main thing is to make sure that your username starts the title.

Have a good weekend!

Dawn

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice pics! Not trying to be too picky, but that one is not of a grader, but a dozer. A grader has the blade in the middle. (Hubby runs heavy equipment for a living.)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Thanks for showing what you've done. Lets me know what I may be in for later. Being able to drive into the property is a big help! Your property is beautiful :thumbsup

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Got back from moms late so I'll do more pix later today.

Snapshot, I'll have a pic of "what we thought was" our finished hoop coop later today.

Denim Deb, thanks for catching my OOPS!...my stepdad used to run heavy equipment (but that was more years ago than I want to count back) and I shoulda knew better. ;)

You're welcome dragonlaurel. Part of the reason I wanted to share our experiences here is in hopes that will be able to help anyone thinking about doing what we're doing.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Dawn