Dawn419 & doc's LSTA: Confounded Computer!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi All! :frow

Doc and I have spent about the past 15 years together dreamin' -n- schemin' about having our own little slice of rural heaven. We really hoped to find a raw piece of land that we could use as a blank canvas, to be able to paint our own picture on, of those dreams and schemes.

On June 16, 2009, that blank canvas became a reality when we bought 17 acres of raw land here in the foothills of the Arkansas Ozarks.

Our woods:

Some of the family thought we wre crazy and a few of them were excited about what we decided to do and how we planned on living for awhile. We have no children (but the dog and cat beg to differ), and planned on living with no electric for awhile but we did have city water hooked up before we moved onto the place (we're kicking ourselves over that decision but I'll explain that further along...).

We went back to TN to start packing and looking for a travel trailer to live in.

As soon as we got home, we went to tell our best friend/neighbor our good news and show him pix of the place. He was excited for us and said "guys, I'll miss ya's but what a long strange trip it's been!". My face lit up like a Christmas tree and I told them that there is the name for our place!

We found a 1974, 22" Prowler that was just what we were looking for. It was in our price range and needed a little work which equaled perfect for us!

The bedroom of the camper was set up with bunk beds so doc changed that up and built a queen sized bed out of the lower bunk and we decided we'd use the upper bunk to store our clothes (using laundry baskets like dresser drawers. ;)).

He made the platform of the bed using plywood that is hinged in the center so that we can lift up the front half and have easy access to storage underneath it. And it is easy...as long as us and the dog and cat aren't all in here together if you need to get under there, which usually ends up being the case! I mean, where is the fun if ya ain't got an audience, right? :gig

Before making our permanent move out here, we made several trips out here to help work on roughing in our driveway and clearing about 2 acres for a place for the camper, 10' x 20' soft-side storage shed and the chicken coop. We lucked up and some of my family helped us doing the roughing in. We were also fortunate that the summer of '09 was cooler and wetter than normal so it was nice for working on the place.

Looking up the "driveway: from the clearing:

Some of our clearing:

We really wanted to leave more trees in our living area but the more we thinned out storm damaged trees, the more of them we found. So for safetys sake we cleared out more than we had hoped to.

Well, I'm gonna give your eyes a rest (and mine, too) and will post a bit more tomorrow!

We hope you enjoy our journey!

Dawn

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How wonderful! Looks like a lovely spot... It is so nice to see dreams come true! Looking forward to reading of your further experiences. Good luck!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome What a wonderful journey you have set upon! Wow! I can't wait to read more. I love the name as well. I am sure it will be a long strange trip, but a wonderful one as well!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd say welcome, but you've been on here longer than I have! So, instead, I'll sit back and :pop and :caf.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! :hugs

I meant to make another post here sooner but we've been dealing with chances of isolated t-storms just about every day, computer went to acting up and I've been putting on the miles between hand watering and dragging soaker hoses to try and keep our plants alive. :barnie

July 31, 2009:

Getting the culvert in place out on the right of way:

We can finally get the trucks back on the place, instead of parking just off the road:

Getting our water line laid out:

August 4, 2009:

BIL digging our water line:

Doc getting gravel from the start of the driveway to add to the water hydrant hole:

Doc and Pepper Anne working on the hydrant (she was a good supervisor during all of this):

And we have water! :

Went back to TN at this point and the family took care of covering the line and fixing our leak up at the hydrant for us. While back in TN, we finished working on a clients' garden pond and looking for someone to take over this and his 280 gallon aquarium.

The pond (already built, we just took over maintaining it):

Well, half of the garden is in the shade now so I'm gonna go get my hands dirty and will post more later!

Dawn