Day started out good....then I just had to go to town...

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope you are all still feeling okay today.
Oddly enough, a member on another poultry forum I am on was hit yesterday as well.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Today we all went to the ER, fought with insurances (his not ours) over a rental, and now I'm home, trying to cook dinner, and sore.

ER Nurse said we'll feel worse by the third day.

DD has internal bruising from her seatbelt. They told us to keep an eye on her.

Oldest DS has whiplash.

Youngest 3 kids are Ok.

DH and I both have whiplash and I have a bruised knee. ER Dr told us to see our family Dr next week and get a referral for physical therapy and he gave me a prescription for muscle relaxers.

My phone has been ringing off the hook all afternoon and I don't feel like I've had a moment to sit down at all.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs I hope your DD is ok!! I hope you all feel better soon! I am sure you are very sore though! Did you end up getting a rental??

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry!! Hope you're all feeling better soon. I'm sorry the insurance company is not cooperating.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So sorry Aly. :hugs I feel for the little guy in the back. That was a close call. I love the van, I want one of my own some day. It's what saved him for sure. Keep hugging and kissing those precious babies. I love the advise you are getting from the forum. Everyone is so special and caring here. I love to visit and read you and Bee's posts. Wish I could be so ambitious. Keep pressing toward the prize, you will get there.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice, and kindness and prayers.

I'm being the squeaky wheel.

No correction, I'm a screaming wheel.

I have told everyone I would have had a little more compassion for the guy if he had shown the smallest hint of concern for my children after he smashed into us, but he never once asked how my kids were.

PP, they didn't want to authorise a rental!! They told my DH that the accident was "still under investigation" and they told me they weren't sure if the guy who hit us was on the ins. policy, as it was not his car he was driving, but his BIL's! DH told them we already had the information from the State Hwy Patrol and we know what two citations he was issued. Not sure what the insurance guy (this was the other guys insurance not ours) said but DH went off and said, "So I'm going to be punished by not getting a rental after he was at fault?"

I think the insurance was trying to wiggle out of being responsible since the kid who hit us is apparantly not on the policy.

What they didn't know is I had already called the Hwy Patrol and I pretty much had all of the guys info except for what his last meal was.

The ins. co is going to try to stick it to us, I can already see it. They are not being cooperative, and they were aggravated because I refused to hang up the phone until they issued a rental. So we are supposedly getting a minivan today from Enterprise but they said I have to pay the deposit to get it.

So we got a lawyer. And that's all I'm saying.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's pretty much all you'll need to say I'd imagine. They should listen to the lawyer, even if they wouldn't listen to you. Good luck. Things should change from here on in.

Reaction score
If the guy is not an approved driver on the policy there is no coverage. Approval can be verbal usually. Sometimes it takes a while to get hold of insureds on a policy. They get in an accident and don't bother returning calls. Sometimes people don't bother checking messages.

Hopefully the guy had at least verbal permission. You might want to fix your tail light and drive your van until the insurance company authorizes everything. If you had to pay the deposit it means the insurance company has not accepted liability and has not authorized a rental. That means if they refuse liability you will have to pay for the rental. I work in the industry and that's the way it works.

Lawyers are great but they can't change the law. It's a good idea to have a personal injury attorney if liability gets accepted because the insurance company will try to save where they can.

Good Luck. Hope everybody is feeling better.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm....if they claim he did not have permission, does he then get slapped with Grand Theft Auto???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, when they declared my Isuzu totalled, they would not let me keep it! Maybe its different with other insurance companies, but Erie towed it away that day and wouldn't let me keep it and fix it back up with the money. If they do total it and let you keep it, they force you to have a salvage title on it and it may affect your future insurance coverage...some of them won't cover a salvaged vehicle.

Either way, the insurance companies always win, I have found this out. :(