Day started out good....then I just had to go to town...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
On the way home from town we were rear ended...and we were only 1.5 miles from home to boot! They always say the most accidents happen within five miles of the home.

My kids were freaked out. We had just filled all our water, picked up some rabbit feed, some lumber for my raised bed (totally blew my plans for this evening!), and some sand for my carrots. I was planning on coming home and starting on my raised bed and stuff.

We were slowing down to make a left hand turn, and I heard tires squealing. I was nonchalantly thinking, "Oh someone's going to get hit" and BAM it was us! It sounded like a bomb exploded. Next thing I know all five kids are screaming, I turned in my seat and asked are ya'll OK? and they said yes just scared. DH had already ripped off his seat belt and leaped out of the car (oh he was soooo mad) and by the time he got to the other guy, he'd decided (thankfully) to keep his cool. He asked him, "Did you see us?"

guy (kid really): yea but by that time it was too late to stop.

Dh: well are you hurt?

guy: no

DH walked back to our van, and since this happened infront of the home of someone DH formerly worked with, we used their phone and called 911. Then I called both our parents.

State troopers suspects due to the age of our van it will be totalled. Great.

State trooper was super nice, to us any :D He asked me as he was taking DH to his cruiser to talk if I was OK and I replied, "Yes, just mad." Trooper shakes his head in agreement and says, "And it's broad daylight, too!" while nodding his head in the direction of the other guys car.

Friends, this car was so smashed, I don't know HOW his airbags didn't deploy. He hit us, and then bounced backwards a good six feet. He tried to say he was only going 20 MPH on impact, the state trooper said there is no way he was going that slow, more like 50-55. We had to remove a large chunk of his fender from under our van where it was wedged between the frame and our tire before we could get our van home. The officer let us drive the van home, but because the kid smashed out all our rear passenger side lights on impact, he marked it down as not road safe. Great. Just great.

He told us to get home and contact our insurance right away because the other kids insurance (or his parents as apparantly this was mom and dad's car) will have to cover a rental for us until our van is either fixed or replaced. I highly doubt they will be doing either.

The kid refused to give us his name or any of his insurance information when DH asked. All he said is, "I have really good insurance."

We're all pretty sore. No major injuries thank goodness that we are aware of. Our claims adjuster advised us to go get checked out just in case, but we're not decided on that yet.

And may I say, my old jalopy van sure can take a hit!! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The adrenalin rush will keep you from feeling sore today, but closely moniter your body and your family in the next day or so. Necks and backs are delicate and while you have access to the other guy's insurance, don't be shy about getting treatment. Sometimes they will even pay for massage just to keep you happy in case of a settlement!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Freemotion is right, been there. Me and the kids were fine until the next day. Shcok and adrenalin. We were "okay" really but very very sore and had whiplash and my sons gait was really off so I took him to a chiro.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this happened to you. I have to agree with Free...tomorrow may be a different story. We were rear ended once, not even near the severity of yours. As a matter of fact DH told the guy since there was no damage to either vehicle and everyone appeared OK, not to worry about it (no police report). Next day I was in serious pain. Whiplash. Insurance wasn't happy about paying for dr bills that should have been covered by someone else. So,heres hoping you all still are doing well tomorrow. :fl But you do have it all reported in case someone still needs care!

Take care - and so glad it wasn't any worse for you all. It's bad enough as it is.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs I'm glad everyone is all right! Sorry about your van! Things like this make me glad I drive a big van too!
I hope you are not sore tomorrow!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Glad to read your all okay, keep an eye on the kids for the next couple days. If anyone should get a headache call the doctors office and have it checked out. Sorry about your van, I hope it can be fixed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sure the police have his insurance info and they need to give you the traffic report and if any tickets were issued on this. Aly, someone did this to me when my youngest was 4-5 and that week he started accidentally peeing his pants. I just happened to have him at the chiropractor's with me and told him about it and he checked him out. Seems like the impact caused some compression on a nerve that controls the bladder. Chiro did one adjustment and he turned out fine.

Get those kids checked out, even if they don't seem hurt. The last time I got rearended the same kid, but now 14 yrs old, wound up with a pelvic torsion from the impact and how he hit the seat belt. He said he was alright but my insurance company advised x-rays and the torsion showed up.

They have to give you book value on your vehicle or the lowest amount, if its too old. You will also get a settlement for each of you, your husband and the kids~pain and suffering~its pretty standard. The kid's case will stay open until they are 21, in case they have any medical conditions related to the wreck that pop up later.

Good luck getting this cleared up quickly! :thumbsup

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs Glad you are ok! I hope everything goes well with your van and a replacement. I agree with everyone on getting the kids checked out! Better to be safe than sorry. :hugs