Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And the wheelchair shall set you free!

We used to have a furniture store. The site manager of a local government office that sought work for handicapped people came to our store. He had a client whose dream was to work in a furniture store. Jerry was 31 years old, had cerebral palsy, was in a wheelchair and was pushed everywhere he went. He could get himself around a little, but was dependent on others to move him around. We hired him.

They brought him to work, 1 hour a week, to dust furniture. A lady stayed with him, then took him back to the office. He was thrilled. After 8 months, the government decided that since he now had a job, he qualified for an electric wheelchair. The best Christmas present we have ever had was watching Jerry come to work, riding the shuttle bus, ALL BY HIMSELF.

You talking about the wheelchair just reminded me of this. Happy for you that you got it and can now participate in more family outings.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@baymule that's a WONDERFUL story!! Thank you for sharing!! :love

I went to watch the fireworks display alone, in wheelchair. Symptom free! I got a heck of a cardio workout though. I will be sore tomorrow. I'm looking forward to having more upper body strength. How fitting to get one on *Independence* Day!! I got a little weepy watching the fireworks.

I had it in the house today to practice steering. Occurs to me that I can supervise DS11 adequately when I'm in it. Otherwise I'm an inconsistent parent, unfortunately, because of cognitive impairment and falling down. He takes advantage!

I will be conscientious to not over-use it. I still need strong leg muscles to help with venous return. But I think rather than cutting down on how much time I spend walking, it will cut down on how much time I spend in bed.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule What a wonderful story! :love

@tortoise So happy to hear about the wheelchair and a free one too! My father was handicapped and wheelchair bound for years as a result, so I know a few things about them, one is they don't come cheap! But gosh, they are wonderful help for getting around. And they DO work the upper body! My father was incredibly strong in his upper body.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fantastic, freedom! I hope it makes life easier for you.

Bay that is a lovely story. Independence is so important!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you were able to go and enjoy the day. This wheelchair will make a big difference in your life.

To build strength in your legs, what about a pulley system over a door. Put loops in a rope to insert your feet in and put leg weights on. You could sit in the wheelchair to raise and lower your feet. That way, you would be firmly seated and wouldn't fall down.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am glad that you were able to go and enjoy the day. This wheelchair will make a big difference in your life.

To build strength in your legs, what about a pulley system over a door. Put loops in a rope to insert your feet in and put leg weights on. You could sit in the wheelchair to raise and lower your feet. That way, you would be firmly seated and wouldn't fall down.

ooo! That's smart! I haven't outgrown ankle weights yet, but that would solve my problem of what to do next after ankle weights! Other than buying gym machines or a gym membership! Thank you!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today was winning! I had to take DS3 to walk-in/urgent care the 15 miles away for an eye that's been bothering him. I wasn't planning on this when I left home, so I didn't have any snacks of things for kids to do with me. We had to wait 2 hours for the appointment. I went to Walmart while waiting because there weren't many other choices. I had my wheelchair in the car from going to fireworks last night, so I used it. oh, my, goodness! I shopped and didn't get sh*t-losing mad. (cerebral hypoperfusion makes me irritable and DS11 gets super-naughty when I'm cognitively impaired, it's his power play behavior.) I shopped and was able to think clearly and make decisions, so I wasn't anxious about making decisions. I didn't have to walk the length of the store to find the shortest/fastest cashier line, and I didn't have to sit on the floor while waiting for the cashier. I was able to go shopping and still have metaphorical spoons for a doctor appointment and housework! Unbelievable.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I'm so happy for you! This sounds like it is really helping you out.

Does your chair have pneumatic tires or hard rubber?