tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
IMG_4972.JPG
Look! They're TINY!!!!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
let, see, if I remember right, they ear tag girls on the left and boys on the right and each year has a different color. The number on the back is the ewe's tag number and the color for the number on the back represents the week they were born. Green was last week, pink is this week, etc. Helps them notice slow-gaining lambs visually. Last time I got lambs from them (2014), the bottle lambs also had a color code painted on the top of their heads.

DS3 and DS11 are smitten! They've named one "Pinkalicious". Guess which one? :gig

I name my lambs for their ewes. Ava's babies are Avalon, Avarette, J'ava, etc. Isabella's babies are Isafirecracker, Isatima, etc. So I'm going to have Pinka-______. named babies?! :gig or "icious" babies? "Delicious"? :gig. I suppose that works for all the future ram lambs! :gig

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pinkadoodle
Pinky
Pink-a-boo-boo

They are adorable! What a bunch of cuteness overload! You go ahead and use your jargon, I got to learn new words!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh dear, "Pink-a-boo-boo" :gig

She's the only one to drink all her milk this evening. I'm training them to drink out of a bowl. PITA at first, but worth it within a week. The others are accustomed to warm milk in bottles, I'm serving cold milk in a bowl. She's the youngest and not so set in her ways. And probably the hungriest! The others only drank half so I will need to go out again tonight to feed them. They're in the chicken coop, there's electricity out there, I don't know if there's a light bulb though. We haven't used it for chickens for over a year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness - they are soooo cute - but I don't envy you at all right now, lol. It's a lot of work to raise orphan babies - but I know if anyone can do it - you can!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A goat farm I visited years ago used the right ear to tag females, because "girls are always right".... :lol:

Guess that farm didn't know this commonly known fact.

They are lovely little things. Hopefully the hand feeding will keep them tame for you.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A goat farm I visited years ago used the right ear to tag females, because "girls are always right".... :lol:

Guess that farm didn't know this commonly known fact.

:yuckyuck

Their personalities are coming out. 2 are winners - super affectionate. 1 is a spaz. Yuck. If I had seen that behavior at the farm, I wouldn't have bought her! I'm trying to not get attached. Raising bottle lambs is a crap shoot. The one thing I'm superstitious about: the animals you like are the ones that die. So I try not to like them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why are bottle lambs so difficult? It seems like they're more prone to issues than bottle baby goat kids, but sheep in general aren't sicklier than goats. Weird.

Maybe the spaz will calm down! They are adorable!