1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by tortoise, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 30, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

You are so creative! I love how you never give up and just keep on finding ways to make your life do-able!

2. Nov 30, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

X2! It's admirable how you persevere in spite of your challenges and pain. :hugs

3. Dec 6, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Had my pain doctor appointment. So fabulous to finally have a doctor who knows more about my diagnosis than I do! :gig I have two new diagnoses, no surprise to me. Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder. Those combined with POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) are the "trifecta" of chronic illness. Yay for me! :hu

But the good news is this doctor has many treatment options, so there's good reason to trust this will be getting more tolerable. Starting out with long list of blood work - got the 8 tubes drawn today. :eek: Physical therapy is scheduled. $$$ worth of medications and supplements purchased. Requested books from assigned reading list from the library.

And a new diet plan which involves.... 12 - 16 cups of leafy greens. :eek: doctor said it's okay if I can't follow the exact diet protocol, but to get as close as I can manage. Oh, did anyone mention the current recalls on all romaine and some kale? :barnie I have grow lights on for my African Violets. It's not much light, but I may try putting a tray of microgreen (lettuce) seeds under the lights and see if they can grow out there.

baymule likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

Yay for a good doctor. Hope he can really help you!

5. Dec 6, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Alfalfa sprouts are supposed to be easy to grow and very good for you. Finally you have a doctor that knows more than just pushing pills.

tortoise likes this.
  6. Dec 6, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Thank you for the reminder! I have sprouting seed! forgot about it. :p

sumi and baymule like this.
  7. Dec 7, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

My doctor is somewhat like that also. He's the one that suggested I drink Bragg's ACV and a cup of german chamomile tea with local honey. Beats popping pills any day.

Glad you found a good doctor :)

tortoise likes this.
  8. Dec 7, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Daily?!? You're going to turn green lol Sounds like you got yourself a good doctor there though :)

9. Dec 7, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I found a copy of the official diet book (Wahls protocol), and thankfully it's not quite as "bad" as we believed. 6 - 9 cups of veggies (categorized as leafy greens, sulfur-containing, and colorful). The author counts 2 cups raw leafy greens as 1 cup of veggies.

My garden plan for next spring is evolving. Plenty of chard for canning. Celtuce lettuce is my new favorite. It grows on a stalk so it's easy to pick and the leaves don't get so dirty/sandy. Diet plans take me a whole year to fully switch to because I resist paying for food-I-can-grow at the store. But since I was eating keto last year, I am stocked up on zucchini zoodles and cauliflower. Wahls has a lot in common with keto so it looks feasible - at least on paper! :)

Wahls includes quite a bit of organ meat and sea plants, so I will have to sort that all out. I'm thinking of buying organic liver. Chop, cook, puree, and freeze in small quantities to hide in anything saucy or soupy. Sea plants are available as powders, so I might make capsules.

sumi likes this.
  10. Dec 7, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

Yay for gardens! I know I'd rather eat what I grow than what I have to buy any day of the week!

CrealCritter and baymule like this.