Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a couple breeds it's fairly common in. Finnsheep maybe? I ruled out a breed right off because I don't need to deal with quads, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
All of my foundation stock were from triplets, quids, ram was a quint. Last year I had 2 sets of quads. I would not be surprised if those ewes have quads again. It's... mixed bag. More animals to sell, but the quads grow so slowly that it works better for larger operations to only leave 2 lambs with the ewe and bottle feed the others and sell them as young as possible. Very large operations can have better success with bottle feeding, but it takes some equipment to get it done on a large scale. And the labor makes it not worth it in a smaller scale.

At least it's not Polypay sheep! 6 - 8 is not unheard of with them. :eek:

Isabella and her babies. :love
52635829_10213771794551642_2603530675717931008_n.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh good! They work great, I'm so glad I read about them.

6-8 babies?? Ugh! Yeah no thanks! One of my ewes had triplets last year. That's more than enough! Her babies are adorable!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok can I ask you a really weird newbie woolie question? Lol so one of my ewes is wet around her rear end. She's not scouring , it's not poo. And she isn't wormy or acting abnormal at all. It's like she either really can't handle peeing or she keeps landing in the water bucket, lol. I dont know what her deal is. But they are in a year plus of fleece and shetlands are often shorn twice a year so... should I just trim it? Lol they're being shorn next month but I don't want the shearer to be like, your sheep are gross:oops:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Landing in the water bucket is not unheard of :gig

You should definitely get persistently wet wool off her skin. Would "crutching" be enough?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol because sheep are so clever right? I think so, it looks like it would be. I can definitely try, I'll have to get DH to tackle her for me :D she's friendly but she knows when you want to grab her, lol

Latest posts