Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sweet. I used to have an African violet that I absolutely loved. Deep lavender ruffled blooms that looked like they had been sprinkled with diamond dust. I keep looking for one to replace it, but have not found any with that diamond look to them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Lazy Gardener , many AV have the "glitter" but it's really hard to show in photos sometimes. I hope you can find one you like!

Well, we're getting a cat! Our young neutered male "barn cat" Gravy disappeared 10 days ago. He was not getting along with our older female cat, so I'd be shocked if he comes back. A family was spaying/neutering a litter of oopsie kittens. They are all very nice cats, but one in particular that DH liked and mentioned to me. I played with all the cats a bit, and yep, the one he liked is playful and gentle. No clawing and no play biting. :love: The owner is giving him to us for cost of his neuter. DS4 named him "Ironman" :gig He's a cute little orange tabby.

DH worked on plumbing after work. Replace the toilet guts which had disintegrated. Also found 2 leaks in the basement. One is water heater piping, other is bathtub drain. :/

I sorted through winter gear, donated some scarves I don't care for and started a new scarf project. I started a crochet version 3x but don't like how crocheted acrylic yarn doesn't drape. So started a 4th attempt, this one knitted. It's, okay? I guess I'll keep going?

I ordered 21 pairs of African Violet leaves. All mini or semi-mini varieties that I don't have. Those will entertain me through winter while I can't buy or ship. The leaves I purchased in May '19 are doing great and I'm starting to separate babies off of them! I have fungus gnats in there really bad. I discovered my potting soil is contaminated! noooooooooo. :sigh: I have the stuff to treat them, it's just a pain. Better to deal with them in winter than in spring!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Try putting a chunk of mosquito dunks in your watering can. It does a reasonable job at eliminating fungus gnats. Also consider your sink and tub drains, and even the underside rim of your toilet bowl as being possible breeding grounds/hang out spots for those nasties.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no idea you could order AV leaves. That's cool! Pics when they are established and blooming please!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Try putting a chunk of mosquito dunks in your watering can. It does a reasonable job at eliminating fungus gnats. Also consider your sink and tub drains, and even the underside rim of your toilet bowl as being possible breeding grounds/hang out spots for those nasties.
You're right! I got the Mosquito Bits! same active ingredients as the dunks. I haven't put them in my watering can yet (because it clogs), but I have them on the soil and in the catch trays where the water drips. It worked last year, I just got another infestation over the summer. I was fighting other insects and got lazy. At least I got the others cleared out. I lost about 200 plantlets in the process though. Made the mistake of using pyrethrin spray. Label says it's safe for AV, but my plants said otherwise :eek: I have an insecticidal soap spray too - that works to knock down flying bugs.

Whoops I did it again. Ordered more leaves. Lady said a medium flat rate box full for $25. :eek: she has 200 varieties of the mini and semi-mini I'm trying to collect. I don't know how many will fit in a box. The first order is 20 varieties of leaves and a small plant - due to arrive on Friday.

DH and I picked out a ceiling fan for dining-living room. Also committed to buy a gorgeous antique table from his cousin. Seats 14 with all the leaves, but folds up to normal small table size.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seats 14 with all the leaves, but folds up to normal small table size.

I have something along that line. First you pull out each end and sets of folded up legs drop down, then you insert the leaves which were aligned on top before you pulled it out. Anyway, when in "small" mode, it is 3 layers of tops but, looks like one with carved edges. It's pretty neat!! Believe mine will seat 12 (?). It's GREAT if you need the seating on occasion but just normal the rest of the time. There was a time when "family" would be about 15-20 head. So, that and another fold up worked.

Also nice area if you need a large surface. I've done projects, used for cooling canning ( with mats under, etc), had club meetings around it, puzzles for days in the winter :D useful.
Not hard to open up and close either.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I picked up the table! :love I am hosting a game party this coming weekend, so I'm excited to have one big table so everyone can chat while playing separate games.

I've been more functional, slowly improving over a couple weeks and finally getting to a point where I can keep up on housework. It has been 3 years since the last time this happened so it feels wonderful. :love

I am making apple butter and dehydrating apple chips today.

I figured out sheep breeding groups. I have a month or so to work on taming ewes before we need to move the rams in with the girls. I have 3 tame adult ewes that are very easy to handle. We have 3 bottle lamb ewes that are just over a year old that are quite tame and previously lead-trained, but two of them needs some work. The remaining two ewes have potential. One is already coming up to me, following me around in pasture and eating out of my hand. She has never been in a lambing pen, so this is remarkably tame for the amount of human contact she has had. :love the other will come up and eat grain out of the manger when I'm there but won't eat out of my hand and forget it if I go into the pen/pasture. I hope she comes around. I'm hoping very much to have ALL tame ewes by spring.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are so lucky to have apple trees! I have a pear tree that finally had a couple of pears on it this year. I love home canned pears.

What kind of sheep do you have?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally got to see one of my ewes lamb. Last season I watched twins being born. Most of mine lamb at night and surprise me in the morning.