Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I believe phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylserine work similarly. Our bodies are supposed to make enough phosphatidylcholine but my body apparently does not.

You are so right about the big pattern companies recycling patterns with minor changes. I prefer to buy patterns at thrift stores for $0.99 since I know I'll need to modify it until it's not recognizable. I've gotten into the idea of pattern "blocks". So I have a favorite waistband that I drafted and plop that right onto any other skirt or pant pattern. I have a stretch bodice block now, and will have blazer bodice and sleeve blocks done when I finish my current pattern. I have a pant/crotch/hip/waist block done and all I need to do is change the leg length and width to make shorts, capris, bootcut, wide leg, anything. It's so easy once the difficult fitting areas are blocked!

I would love to see what you sew! Maybe we should start a sewing project thread for photos this winter?

@frustratedearthmother, I've been afraid of this project for 20 years! But I'm getting to a point that I'm less attached to it. If I mess it up so badly I have to throw the whole thing away, that's still better than it sitting in a pile upstairs and on my mental to-do list. I'm trying to do the difficult stuff while my brain fog is gone. Thing about supplements is never knowing how long the effect will last. Maybe I'm being irrational, but I'll take whatever motivation I can get ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have had the brain fog return since putting up the xmas tree. huh. I do have a history of irritability and feeling like crap immediately after putting up the tree, and my favorite part of xmas is taking down the tree! LOL I've increased my MCAS meds, am avoiding the living/dining room, and 2 HEPA air cleaners in the master bedroom. I'm also having a hormone-caused exacerbation of symptoms, so the dizziness and joint pain is back temporarily. We're also going to switch to the wood furnace today/tonight and that temperature and air quality change always makes me a little worse. I'll feel better in a few days, and then again in a couple weeks when the tree is gone. I'm maintaining habits, diet, and supplements so should be back to normal soon.

In other diet/health news, I'm actually losing weight. Slowly but consistently. My plan to eat almost the same things every day is working. I'm down 12# and have 18# to go. 🥳

DS12 has been difficult lately. He's reacting to everything and generally miserable to be around. He lost his willingness to avoid foods that make him sick, so we've had 5 days of his aggression, screeching, and general emoting, which culminated in a worse reaction with nausea, vomiting, headache, joint pain, and overly-dramatic screaming. (oh yes, so much fun). Since he is unwilling to stop making himself sick, I have to step in with environmental controls (a.k.a. locks) and keep him away from the things which make him sick. I have requested an evaluation for Katie Beckett program to see if we can get access to more therapy and support.

Working on the blazer pattern is too intense for me right now since the xmas tree an all, but I did sew up a cute little bolero/shrug and tested a fitness tank top pattern which will work with a different neck band and a different fabric which drapes better.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If the tree makes you sick, why do you put it up? We stopped decorating YEARS ago, and have found that it greatly simplifies our lives. If you are using a fake tree, perhaps the plastics, and the harbored dust are triggers for you.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry that this time of year is so hard on you - health wise. At least the tree is only a couple of weeks, but even that is too much. And sorry that the DS12 is having a hard time. I am sure that all the holiday food, excitement and such is hard for him to stay the course with what he needs to do to take care of himself.

@tortoise Since you are talking about adjusting patterns, maybe you will have some good advice for me.

I just purchased a winter jacket on-line. I love the fit and look of the jacket, but the "winter jacket that will keep you cozy anywhere" is not insulated and the wind blows right thru it. Not good for Wisconsin winter, lol. So, I am planning to make a liner for it that I can button in/out and remove for spring/fall days when it is not so cold.
Now my question: what type of fabric would you recommend I use? I bought a thin polar fleece, but that will not stop the wind. Do you know of a light fabric that I can use as a windbreak?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer , I would save the time, and simply layer up. I do this all winter long, and often toss a fleece lined windbreaker on under my winter jackets that just don't provide enough warmth for our winters. I COULD spend 200 bucks on a heavy down coat that MIGHT do the job. Then, again, I could shell out a lot of money, and be stuck where I am right now: a jacket that promises, but does not deliver.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If the tree makes you sick, why do you put it up? We stopped decorating YEARS ago, and have found that it greatly simplifies our lives. If you are using a fake tree, perhaps the plastics, and the harbored dust are triggers for you.

I didn't connect the dots until this year. DH isn't convinced, he thinks I was reacting to the warmer temperature that day. I have heard thatfake trees are really bad for allergens and such. I'm anti-plastic, so I wouldn't bother.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Since you are talking about adjusting patterns, maybe you will have some good advice for me.

I just purchased a winter jacket on-line. I love the fit and look of the jacket, but the "winter jacket that will keep you cozy anywhere" is not insulated and the wind blows right thru it. Not good for Wisconsin winter, lol. So, I am planning to make a liner for it that I can button in/out and remove for spring/fall days when it is not so cold.
Now my question: what type of fabric would you recommend I use? I bought a thin polar fleece, but that will not stop the wind. Do you know of a light fabric that I can use as a windbreak?

I agree with @Britesea that ripstop nylon would be a good choice. Economical at about $5/yard but not very breathable. You can buy 3M Thinsulate by the yard, it's about $10 per yard. There's also Insul-Bright which is priced in between, less breathable than Thinsulate, but also has foil to reflect heat back (and would break the wind too).

Might want to use rip-stop nylon to line the sleeves and Thinsulate or Insul-Bright in the body?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have reactive airway disease, and did find that having a fake tree made my resp. issues worse. I don't know about how I react to a "real tree" inside. But, I do know that I react to fresh lumber. Crying shame, cause I grew up surrounded by constant wood working projects. I find the smell of fresh grain and lumber to be very comforting to my brain, but not so much if I want to breathe!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't connect the dots until this year. DH isn't convinced, he thinks I was reacting to the warmer temperature that day. I have heard thatfake trees are really bad for allergens and such. I'm anti-plastic, so I wouldn't bother.

if DS12 means they are a child just going through puberty that can be a large influence on behavior too. hormone changes during that time of life play all sorts of havoc...

oh, and yes, on the seasonal things being potential troubles. one thing of comfort with the internet is being able to find videos of fireplaces to have on which means we can enjoy a sort of fire without having to deal with the ashes or smoke.

Last edited: