Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
protein gets turned into glucose too. The diabetic friend would be better off going keto with high fat, very low carb and only moderate protein. It's hard for people to wrap their head around the idea of eating fat does NOT make you fat... the AMA and FDA have been demonizing fat for decades now.

it's a genetic thing for some people. not everyone is the same.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
His wife is doing keto, so maybe they're doing the protein prioritized keto? IDK exactly. It takes way more protein than we'd expect to make a difference on the gluconeogenesis. High fat keto is usually not compatible with weight loss, depends on where the person is starting out. I can't lose on high fat keto anymore. I can maintain on it, but I've still got 20# to lose before I can eat all the fat. I've been doing the higher protein keto because my doctors tell me I need more protein - connective tissue problems.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still losing weight on my high fat keto diet, but it's slowed down. What a lot of people misunderstand is that you don't necessarily stuff yourself with fat... it's called high fat because the greatest percentage of your calories come from healthy fat rather than protein or carbs. You still have to watch the total calories, because in ketosis you want to burn the fat in your body, not just the fat you are eating. I had gotten onto a plateau for months and it finally dawned on me that I had reached the point where the calories I was taking in exactly matched what I was using for maintenance; so I reduced the calories by another 300 a day and voila! started losing again.

Of course, health issues like connective tissue problems will skew things. I can lose weight on keto partly because I'm basically pretty healthy other than diabetes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yes, you nailed it @Britesea! So many miss this point about trying to burn body fat instead of food energy fat! So people are eating like 200 grams of fat per day and wondering why they're not losing weight. Doing one's homework is so important. I can't fathom how people can just jump into something not knowing what they're doing and then blame it when they are doing it wrong. o_O

I am always surprised how keto resists weight gain. I can eat near 3,000 calories in a day and not gain if I keep it keto. But I have to be under 1,300 calories per day to lose weight - keto or not. That gap in there is the metabolism chasing homeostasis :love When insulin is down, our bodies will revv up metabolism rather than storing body fat. Nice trick to know if you're feeling cold!

The protein is to try to tip odds in favor of making better collagen - to make sure all the building blocks are there. IDK if it will make a difference. But it sure helps me with feeling full or having carb cravings - moreso than fat. I was surprised!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH is still working on the bathroom ventilation fan install. It's in, wired, functional. He is working on the exterior, insulation, and vapor barrier today. I hope he can get to the drywall today too. After that, the taping, muding, and paint are my project. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I put up the corner bead this morning. Have started mudding a bit. sort of. We're out of proper mud, but I am using spackle. Have to apply in thin layers and let dry. But happy to be making progress. We also removed a phone jack from the wall next to the toilet. When we bought our house in 2014, DH said that was the first thing he was going to change. 5 years later.... :gig I patched that hole today also.

I found a bag of things from the hardware store I'd lost a few months ago! So very happy to find it! There's a quart of paint for painting a wall in DS4's bedroom. I am eager to finish his bedroom painting and hanging hooks. It's just a repaint to his favorite colors.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bathroom is done. :)

DH harvested 2 deer and they're in the freezer. He's out hunting again this morning and I heard a shot. We have plenty now, but he's harvesting another one (If he can!) to share.

I started a new supplement about 10 days ago. It's working shockingly well to reduce brain fog and fatigue. I haven't taken my stimulant rx since! The supplement works much better!!

Now that my brain works most the time and I'm not exhausted most the time, I've been working on craft/sewing projects that have been languishing for years. It feels so good to have them finished!

• cleaned out armoir cabinet full of craft stuff in my living room
  • almost-finished quilt top for DS4. I need to go to quilting studio to finish it. It had been on my list for 9 months
  • made a zipper cover for my wheelchair cushion. had been on my list for 18 months
  • sewed book bags to donate to the library. had been on my list for 5 YEARS
  • crocheted net for water bottle, had been on my list for 2 or 3 months
  • sewed unicorn and rabbit stuffed animals for my nieces, made out of BIL's shirts. been on my list since he died 10 months ago!
  • "Frogged" 2 knitting projects I will not be completing. Giving yarn from one project to a friend. The other is going to goodwill.
Now I'm starting to clean out my studio by pulling out even older projects and finishing or purging them. My studio is so cluttered it's not usable - and hasn't been for over a year. :eek:

Currently, I'm working on fitting a pants pattern. I started this project 2 years ago. :eek: I had the hard part done already when kids were gone overnight at grandma's. I need to measure for length, adjust the pattern, cut and sew another fitting toile.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang - you are moving along! What's the new supplement (if you care to share)? Home projects are either fun or just plain drudge...hope yours are exciting! Just curious - how's Bay doing?

Latest posts