Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unfortunately, DS14 has late work, just-barely-passing grades, and his teachers aren't happy with him playing computer games during class. So he doesn't have time or a potential teacher-mentor to help him.

he may find more motivation for school work when he can start tying it into things that he experiences and sees and feels. like feeling sick after eating school lunches... so try to gently encourage him to work at this more and try to tie it to more concrete things for him.

in many ways i was barely coasting through high school and didn't know i was going to college until halfway through tenth grade. by that time i wasn't on a college prep schedule and missed a few important classes i didn't even know existed or what they were for. even coasting i had good grades and was bored to no end. i was trying to get into a technical electronics program that was taught at another location for the afternoon of my last year of high school but they didn't have the money for bussing kids there that year so no luck with that. i ended up repeating some science classes because there was nothing else and in those the science teacher had me helping him with other classes he was teaching. that was more fun and interesting.

when i took the college entrance math exam i managed to do well enough on it to place directly into the first calculus class but i was so lost i flunked it (a five credit class). i really needed the pre-calculus class (i never took one - in retrospect i should have taken that before any other classes it would have helped). i struggled my whole way through the entire calculus sequence and then was so glad to have it done.

well that all said to get back to the topic... :) somehow to encourage DS to be more engaged with school work when he has some topic that it would fit with. you can always encourage this sort of thinking in himself by asking him questions about it and to see if he can think of ways to tie it to things he likes. for me one thing that tied basic math to reality was that i enjoyed following the stock market and learning about savings and investing (though i could not do any investing until later on).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
he may find more motivation for school work when he can start tying it into things that he experiences and sees and feels. like feeling sick after eating school lunches... so try to gently encourage him to work at this more and try to tie it to more concrete things for him.

in many ways i was barely coasting through high school and didn't know i was going to college until halfway through tenth grade. by that time i wasn't on a college prep schedule and missed a few important classes i didn't even know existed or what they were for. even coasting i had good grades and was bored to no end. i was trying to get into a technical electronics program that was taught at another location for the afternoon of my last year of high school but they didn't have the money for bussing kids there that year so no luck with that. i ended up repeating some science classes because there was nothing else and in those the science teacher had me helping him with other classes he was teaching. that was more fun and interesting.

when i took the college entrance math exam i managed to do well enough on it to place directly into the first calculus class but i was so lost i flunked it (a five credit class). i really needed the pre-calculus class (i never took one - in retrospect i should have taken that before any other classes it would have helped). i struggled my whole way through the entire calculus sequence and then was so glad to have it done.

well that all said to get back to the topic... :) somehow to encourage DS to be more engaged with school work when he has some topic that it would fit with. you can always encourage this sort of thinking in himself by asking him questions about it and to see if he can think of ways to tie it to things he likes. for me one thing that tied basic math to reality was that i enjoyed following the stock market and learning about savings and investing (though i could not do any investing until later on).
DS14 might be somewhat like you. He is very intelligent. He could have started college at age 9, but his behavior problems were starting so it wasn't a good fit. That said, he has taken Algebra 1 six times and hasn't actually finished it yet. He has an "I already know it" attitude before he has mastered the material. Getting an F on his first mid-term in Algebra 1 seems to have been effective. He was playing games in class and failed a test on factoring. I'm over here like "you could do these in your head when you were 7 years old?!" but his teacher taught a new method and the problems on the test couldn't be solved other ways. I think he learned his lesson.

He did finally learn his lesson about cafeteria food. He packs his lunch. One day he forgot and decided to skip lunch. Proud momma moment!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
"Someone" forgot to turn off the circuit breaker for the upstairs and DS6 stayed up watching TV past midnight. (oops) He hasn't woken up yet at 11 a.m. :gig

After a morning free of child distractions, I found the light at the end of the tunnel with my writing project. I talked to my boss about not working past end of March and that she might need to find another writer if it's not done.

I also might have volunteered to revise/write a 4-H handbook. Whoops? Handbooks are easy for me, but there are only 24 hours in a day...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Screenshot_20211103-194549.jpg

Feeling cold is my warning to sleep. 2 naps today and in bed before 8 p.m.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Same! I’m exhausted but apparently my kids think bedtime is for losers tonight 🙄
I'm still awake. Shut off the circuits to DS6's room, and he keeps trying to sneak the hall light on. Nope. Momma had a nap, its not happening. Stay awake as long as you want! ... in the dark. 😁