Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What is the Dorito effect?
Its about how in 1940s when there was push to increase meat and crop production, flavor and nutrition were lost, and replaced with artificial flavors. How things and flavors got separated (a dorito is a corn chip, but tastes like a taco). How this impacts human health. And what is being done about it.

The book is better than I expected, and had some delightful content on nutritional wisdom.

Not too enraging, not too heavy, just right.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow - I don't know how ya'll cold weather people do it. Beautiful blue sky and 81 degrees today.

the cold freezes our brain cells (from the top down) so it just kinda self-selects for people who can persist even if they don't really know any better or are too numb to know the difference. :)

we got down into the mid 30s last night and the S*W is forecast for some appearance on Tuesday afternoon of some kind, but i won't be bothered by it no matter what. we persist, we exist, we hibernate, we coagulate, whatever you wish to think of it as... :)

i like to tell people i'm a protoplasmic bean. water seeks it's own level, but i have a spine at times when needed to lever myself around. *plop plop*...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And what is being done about it.

there's a farm fresh program here in MI which tries to encourage schools to get real foods back on the menu for school lunches. they've done some amazing things in the past 10yrs. more room to go for improving but at least some attempts are being made.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was listening the past few weeks to the radio and heard two different shows giving details of programs where the schools changed over to sourcing as much food as they could from local farms.

here's one link:

and another that i hearts:

this is a more central resource: