Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and also to just make people more aware that seed libraries do exist and are there for people to use for growing their own foods too. that is that other part of the idea that needs to be more widely shared. even if you don't know someone who likes to garden you might know someone who does and they perhaps may just be starting out... so... :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i was listening the past few weeks to the radio and heard two different shows giving details of programs where the schools changed over to sourcing as much food as they could from local farms.

here's one link:

and another that i hearts:

this is a more central resource:

I wonder if that could be done in my area. DS14 tells me his friends feel sick after eating lunch. Bloated, fatigue, etc. It's so frustrating that this industrialized food has gone on for so long that people think feeling bad all the time and chronic diseases are normal.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if that could be done in my area. DS14 tells me his friends feel sick after eating lunch. Bloated, fatigue, etc. It's so frustrating that this industrialized food has gone on for so long that people think feeling bad all the time and chronic diseases are normal.

it starts by people asking questions and making efforts to change things, so you're on the right track and your own son already knows how different things can feel. those are solid starting points. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
it starts by people asking questions and making efforts to change things, so you're on the right track and your own son already knows how different things can feel. those are solid starting points. :)
I encouraged him to survey 100 students every day after lunch. Every kid has a chromebook and google account, so he could set up Google Forms. I suggested he could compare the "post-ingestive feedback" data with the school lunch calendar to see if there is one meal in particular that is worst. Maybe start by getting one thing on the menu removed.

Unfortunately, DS14 has late work, just-barely-passing grades, and his teachers aren't happy with him playing computer games during class. So he doesn't have time or a potential teacher-mentor to help him.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
imagine the extra resource in gardeners that these ideas are not using...

Farm to School still means more large producers and not using the extras in produce that are often available but wasted.

if you had someone out running around trucking in foods if you had gardeners along the way with extra it would be great to be able to stop in and pick that up to be used too.

remind people of seed libraries and gardners. we often have extra in season if someone wants it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
imagine the extra resource in gardeners that these ideas are not using...

Farm to School still means more large producers and not using the extras in produce that are often available but wasted.

if you had someone out running around trucking in foods if you had gardeners along the way with extra it would be great to be able to stop in and pick that up to be used too.

remind people of seed libraries and gardners. we often have extra in season if someone wants it.
Even better when the students themselves do the growing. I have seen stories of some schools having great success.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i was listening the past few weeks to the radio and heard two different shows giving details of programs where the schools changed over to sourcing as much food as they could from local farms.
Our HS does this. Our FFA leader/Ag teacher started a school farm 6 years ago and 3 years ago implemented it into her teaching and now students run the farm and complete the chores (along with volunteers over the holidays, weekends and summer). They have had a huge garden the last couple years and most of the veggies and the beef raised there goes back into the school nutrition department. They start the seeds in the greenhouse on campus, which also has student managers, and it just grows from there. It is an amazing project and the fresh veggies is a plus for all the kids especially those that aren't able to get them at home.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even better when the students themselves do the growing. I have seen stories of some schools having great success.

yes, exactly, but to start somewhere/anywhere it is just one of many things that can be done and if it lights up a student and gets them into gardening and caring about this planet and all the creatures when before they might have been stuck in a box all day playing video games, well at least it has helped get them out there more. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH made supper and had DS14 clean up the kitchen yesterday before I got home from grocery shopping and DS6's violin lesson. 😍 It was nice to eat together. We havent done that for weeks.

I am at the writing stage of having a list of sections to work on. I checked off 1/3 of the list yesterday, but was picking the easy sections. 😬 4-H meeting tonight so I need to start early and occupy DS6 with TV. 😬