Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know there was one. 😅 There was a small local fiber festival pre-COVID, but I stopped going because I always spend too much money on dyed roving. 😅

i wonder if that is where the phrase "red rover" came from... :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH is coming around about showing sheep at fair. He decided we could separate one lower-value ewe, wean her lambs. When she comes back from the fair she can go in the goat pasture. Heck I'd like her in the goat pasture to start because it's right by the house and she'll get more training that way. DH says no lambs at fair because he thinks they are more likely to get sick or bring something home. He was muttering about pre-medicating with something too but I didn't catch all of what he said. I think I would do a formaldehyde hoof dip when unloading after fair. Ain't got time for hoof rot.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I’m too neurotic to show my sheep, so many possible issues there. It would be fun though! And nope- no one’s got time for hoof rot! Yuck!
If we had purebred sheep he could enter market lamb - they don't come home. But purebred lambs are too $$$ for a fair project IMO, and I'm not about to switch to a purebred/registered flock either.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have to do purebred for market lambs? I assume suffolks are probably the popular ones in the market class?

I have purebred sheep for no reason other than they make me happy 😂 I am so financially responsible 🤣 (I can sell lambs for decent money though so it works for me lol)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You have to do purebred for market lambs? I assume suffolks are probably the popular ones in the market class?

I have purebred sheep for no reason other than they make me happy 😂 I am so financially responsible 🤣 (I can sell lambs for decent money though so it works for me lol)
I might have read that wrong about purebred market lambs. I'm easily confused! I'm waiting for the superintendent to reply to my email. If any breed market lamb can be entered, I plan to have DS14 take one ewe and 2 lambs, put the lambs in market/carcass class and bring ewe home to quarantine.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow that’s pretty far! There’s nowhere in NH that is 3.5 hours from any other place in NH🤣
I am amused. 3.5 hour drive in Texas is a hop, skip and a jump. It's 3 hours from where I'm living now, (not much longer, we close next week) to where I'm moving to. Once I get there, it's 30 miles to anywhere with more than a convienence store and over priced gas/diesel.

I finally caught up on your journal. Haven't had time for much lately, If I'm not packing or moving, I'm in an exhausted semi coma or asleep. LOL