Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise do you do acupressure treatments at all? Just curious if you had any insight. I know how to massage the wife's thumb to reduce migraines. She tried something last night for sciatica that worked. She shared with a friend and it worked for her.

I am asking, because I was wondering if you had any recommendations on resources
I haven't had luck with acupressure, but trigger point massage has been awesome for me. Similar idea - that massage in one area reduces pain in another place

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was having some sciatica starting up and have been happy that the chiropractor got me straightened out (my left hip was twisted) and it hasn't come back. i get a monthly massage by someone who doesn't mess around and that is a big help for keeping my back and neck moving.

at one time i considered getting into becoming a massage therapist but after seeing and hearing the stuff my previous few therapists have dealt with i decided it wasn't for me as anything other than a hobby. i do have good hands for it and the aptitude. my friends are happy to get backrubs or footrubs. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Rainy day. Nice slow slow all day! Feels a bit dreary - or cozy.

Kids and I cleaned my studio. (They made the mess). That took all morning. I'm excited to have space to complete projects. I need to commit to using up about half of my fabric stash. New year's resolution? Its mostly cheap fabrics for fitting toiles, I need to fit some patterns and move on.

Kids and I made braided dog toys for the shelter out of old sheets this afternoon. Splash "helped" by sitting on the sheets like a cat, and testing the finished toys. 🙄 so helpful. :sarcasm: (Baymax and Boi snored the whole time. 🙄 )

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stayed home and cleaned on Sunday too. We needed it! Kids worked on cleaning rooms. I have learned that if I want DS7 to play alone, DO NOT tell him to go play alone. Tell him to clean his room. Works much better. :gig Room cleaning is the only time he plays with his toys. 😏

Splash's previous neglect created behavior problems, like foraging and drinking out of the toilet. But also housetraining. I wasn't sure - his stress diarrhea covered it up before. He has housetraining issues. He was housetrained. And then was not taken outside for long periods. (I expected this, because his white fur is stained yellow-brown.) He doesn't ask to go outside. He runs off and hides to potty on the floor, or in his kennel. He poops in his kennel at least once overnight, and any time he is kenneled for an extended period of time. He doesn't believe he will get to go out later, so he doesn't hold it.

I think it's manageable. :fl I am modeling the buttons for him. I removed a lot of buttons from the soundboard. It's down to 10 buttons. I'm modeling "outside" button as often as possible. There are bells on my door, and I hung bells on the inside of his kennel door too. Kids have been informed that whining (for any reason!) = potty walk. He might start asking to go outside excessively, as is common when dogs learn to control their environment, but the weather will be cold enough to limit that.

Right now, we start the day with DS15 walking Splash, while I clean out his kennel, handwash the blanket and start laundry. Then bring Splash in and bathe him. Thankfully Splash likes baths and I have a grooming tub in my basement. I was done with clean-up before DH was out of the shower this morning. It's okay for now, but I sure hope this is not permanent.

He's doing awesome in every other way! I can't get over how responsive he is to training. He tries so hard. :love He learns so fast. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Splash has been here 1 week. :love

He has learned
  • tuck sit
  • kickback down
  • foldback down
  • pivot pad (front paw target)
  • positions on pivot pad
  • bow - lured
  • beg - lured, introduced verbal cue
  • shake, left and right
  • wave - still shaping for longer duration, left and right
  • hand target
  • cookie stretches
  • spin and twist - lured
  • weave through legs - lured
  • out (a.k.a. drop it and give) - with food reward
  • under knees - lured
  • crawl - 2 body lengths, lured
  • retreat (crawl backwards) - offered
  • kennel - go to kennel and wait 30 seconds. goal is 1 minute.
  • sit-stay at doors - door open, leash off
  • exhale
  • sneeze
He might be ready for AKC Trick Dog Novice title by next week. :D (He can't actually get the title until I adopt him and register him in my name.) He might be ready for the AKC Virtual Home Manners title next week too. I want one exercise better before I take video for that one.

:love