Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
He has mixed feelings! He wants to go to community college. He wants to play on the new playground at the elementary school because it has a spider web. He wants to be intellectually challenged, but he doesn't want to do the work.

I think a couple weeks in 5th grade with agemates will be good for him. Show him how spoiled he has been with academic match. Demonstrate why working at challenging work is worth it (because being bored is worse)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is so complicated, I wish I had a better answer than I hope you can find the perfect solution for him. I have a feeling this child is going to grow into one of those that change the world :) What a gift, if a complicated one!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We had first day of school, which is pictures and meeting teachers, etc. He's seated between 2 boys he has done okay with in the past. His friend (sorta) is in the class and they share a locker. We have a country neighbor with a younger boy DS10 likes who is grade-skipped into his classroom. Teacher seems okay with the arrangement that I'll send work for DS10. I spent a couple hours photocopying his books and printing worksheets to minimize distractions to himself and his classmates.

So, yep, he's heading into 5th grade with 2nd semester Algebra 2, AP Bio and some physics, obscure history, Shakespeare, college level music theory, and for light reading... Moby Dick. :th I wonder if he'll do any other stuff I send or if he's going to be a nuisance and show off during classes. I'm expecting nuisance.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Now that DS10 is squared away, I can focus on planning activities and books for DS2. Oh my, that little boy is something else. He's mastering skills and showing more academic interest that DS10 did at that age. I'm petrified, but also "whatever", I'm learning how this all goes. DS2 is currently interested in right and left, tracing, counting, and airplanes. I need to buckle down on potty training. This morning he told me "no potty! Just want diaper. Poop [in] it!"

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol! You have your hands full! I really hope school goes well for DS10!
How have you been feeling lately? And is DS2 going to be more work with DS10 gone so much?

I'm super super impressed with DS10's academic abilities.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've felt a little "off" since our road trip out West, but getting better. DS10 spent a couple weeks at grandma's and DS2 was *easier* then. Surprise! We will see how it goes! I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I won't have DS10 to babysit in the waiting room. That will be interesting! :confused: I expect I'll be able to get out of the house more - and since DS2 always is more agreeable in novel surroundings I expect everything will be a bit easier. Except my doctor appointments. And going to the gym.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband and son are on their way right now to get to a computer to upload K's school transcripts to an online school. K should/could have graduated in May (a year ahead of his peers) but didn't finish his classes. He did have a TON of medical issues this last year (he has long term med issues, many of which keep him nauseated and fatigued), but most of it is his unwillingness to work on certain homework assignments if they go against something he believes in, or homework in general. School of any kind has been a nightmare. He's super intelligent, but also very stubborn. Every teacher says he's smart, works well with others, knows the material, is never a discipline priblem, could be valedictorian, (blah, blah, blah...) but won't do the work. He got a 97% and 94% on the semester exams in classes that he failed! So he obviously knows the material. AP classes. Years ago I suggested them giving him harder material, but because he wouldn't do the simple stuff, he wasn't eligible. At that time, I wasn't able to stay home to homeschool.
Computer time is spent on obscure history here too, and on rocket science, military history, strategy games, and electrical (especially sound system circuitry boards.) But how is he ever going to be able to do any of those if he doesn't graduate?:he
Socially, he's much like your son. Even at the age of 4, we had trouble getting him to play with other kids. He's always seemed so much older than kids his age. K is never "silly". He does well talking to much older people but gets frustrated when other kids "act like teenagers". It does no good to remind him that they ARE teenagers... Good luck on the school issue. Sounds like you've done a much better job if it so far than I have!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh boy! You know exactly how it is! :hugs Not easy at all! I've heard the dilemma many times of a school refusing to give advanced work until the student completes the stuff they already know. So annoying because kids like ours - the actually academically advanced - get skipped over for high achievers who might not actually be academically advanced. Are you familiar with Davidson institute for Talent Development? They're amazing, there's a wealth of info on their website. Is your son going to take the AP tests?

Latest posts