Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well, thank you!. :blush: and right back at you! You're managing an overwhelming workload in your own life!

Yesterday neighbors visited for supper which was fun (for me and DS10, not fun for DH and DS2). Today I had a dietician appointment in my hometown and stopped at a couple thrift stores and a craft store to get supplies for making a halloween costume for DS2. I normally wouldn't introduce halloween so young because i don't like the holiday, but DS2 has seen halloween picture books and is fascinated with it. He has a favorite movie he talks about all the time, so I picked a character from it for his costume idea. The last time we did halloween it was SO COLD. miserable. I have figured out how to make his costume toasty-warm. I believe DS10 will be Bill Nye this year, we will see. He usually picks so late we don't have time to make a decent costume.

Back on the farm, reality strikes. DH and I picked 4 more 5-gallon buckets of tomatoes. If the weather holds, we might get a few more pickings. i might start going daily to get as many as possible. Watermelon are picked and done. Pumpkins are ready to pick. Onions are done - we found 2 heaping ice cream buckets of onions DS10 had "missed" when he pulled onions for me.

DH and I chased chickens 'round the barn. The puffiness meatiest looking roo was unimpressive. I don't know what we're going to do moving forward into next year. Our f1 Cornish x rock are unimpressive, except one we kept back last year. We might try f2. we might try a different breed altogether.

We had a hen with a breeding injury a while back we separated out into a cage to let her heal. She is healed and feathers growing in, but when DH put her back into the flock they picked on her mercilessly. She has been loose in the barn, and the youngun meat chickens (also loose in the barn) were picking on her too. She resorted to living on top of rabbit cages (which we use for isolating chickens). She has gotten quite tame up there. I caught her and caged her with a nest box today to see if she is laying at all. She scares me! When she's on top of the cage, she's at eye level with me! I'm already scared of birds, and her waddling over, reaching her head out looking for food is just too much. I bring a broom over and keep it between me and her. She's not scared of it one bit. DH thinks I've lost my mind. :gig

i've been working with a personal trainer for about a month now. I think it's starting to make a difference. I can DO most of the exercises now - that's very encouraging.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You don't like Halloween?? I love Halloween! I am also freaked out by birds in my space. Don't like that at all, and at eye level?? No thanks!

How big are your meat birds now? Are they small or just slow getting to a decent size?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our meat birds look full size, but there's almost no breast meat on them. I think there's a lot of chicken soup in our future. :/

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've had a rough week between pain and POTS, haven't been doing much, not much to say.

I had surgery this morning - Fallopian tubes removed. They gave me 4 liters of IV fluids! :bliss: I had some trouble with pain post-op but it was controlled after 4 hours and I started canning tomatoes! DH did the bending and lifting for me, and MIL is here taking care of DS2 too. I'm back to bed already though. MIL thinks I'm crazy for being up and canning. I assume most of my feeling good is from the IV fluids and I expect I'll feel worse the next couple days until I get past the worst of healing.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh I agree with your MIL- go chill out!!! Or you will be feeling it! Glad surgery went well, is DH disappointed? I know he wanted more at one point.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, go to bed you crazy woman! :hugs I hope you won't feel too sore in the morning. Mind yourself over there.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy cow! I do try to refrain from giving orders- but you need to get horizontal!!!

You have a perfect excuse to rest- so get some! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Pain is pretty good at ordering me around. I generally believe that pain serves a purpose - to prevent re-injury. That's why I haven't taken anything for my chronic joint pain. It's usually a 4 on pain scale, so tolerable, and it reminds me to keep my body aligned and not do anything stupid. Post-op is a little different. My good pain med dose (it's norco) wore off, so I'm in bed with ibuprofen and hurting when I move. Oh well, it will keep me in bed.

DH is not acting disappointed. I'm sure he is, but assume he had enough time to process it. We were talking about this way back when I was in the hospital with preterm labor when I was pregnant with DS2. (January 2015!). Not having more kids was actually HIS idea then, he was totally fine with it and adoption (which I want). Now he is anti-adoption because he doesn't want to deal with the paperwork and hoops. gosh! Those are for good reason! I'm willing to go through hoops because I understand their value. All he has to do is show up to the informational meeting to get started and help with some home improvement projects to get up to state foster standards. We would have to replace our wood furnace - which we both agree needs doing anyway!!! But that's the biggest item. Install a handrail on one staircase (we have it, just need to install it). My kids have beds on the floor, and we'd have to put those on bedframes to look more socially acceptable (that's their Christmas present). It will definitely be a hassle if we apply to adopt, but I can keep an eye on the home requirements and move towards them so it wouldn't be overwhelming.

Anyway, DH is not being passive aggressive or unsupportive like I had feared. He's been very sweet, patient and taking care of me. :love