Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Then you definitely don't want Polypay sheep! LOL!

I'm bottle supplementing the 3 of the quads. One in particular is looking thinner this evening. They're keeping their heat lamp to help them conserve energy.

DH and I moved the last 2 ewes into lambing pens. One of them is a yearling and [insert curse words] she is WILD! And jumpy! She's a broken leg waiting to happen. If she doesn't tame down dramatically, she has to go. She is is out of my younger ram, first yearling of his, and I do not like what I see. Just temperament. Not cool! I will be watching his ewe lambs as yearlings. If they're all like this, he has to go to. Nope, nope, nope. I will not have crazy jumping flailing ewes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the losses :hugs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Crazy-jumpy yearling had her lamb. Large single lamb and looks good. She isn't showing any signs of getting less spooky.

The oldest lambs are leaving the lambing pens through the manger slats and running amok in the barn. They're adorable! :love

The 3 quads are doing great, I supplemented with bottle feeding one night when they were looking a bit thin. Other than that, momma is doing a fabulous job with them!

Another ewe had triplets - #1 was freakishly small, #2 dead in sack, #3 is alive, but has a malformed head - face like an Arabian horse. Weird.

1 ewe left to lamb. Her udder is huge! It will be soon!

I don't have any bottle lambs (yet?) this year! Very nice!

I went shopping "in the city" on Saturday. DH decided to stay home. I was bummed out. But he made more nest boxes for my chickens, so I'm happy and thankful. :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weird about the deformed lamb....does he nurse? I guess so since you don't have any bottle babies, lol. Hope he's ok and hope he thrives...maybe it's a genetic mutation and you can have sheep with pretty little heads?

How you feeling?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Right this minute? :gig Cranky! DH and I started cracking hazelnuts he foraged in fall. He has a cheesecake recipe in mind which calls for 75 grams of hazelnuts. DH quit after 5 grams. I got to 50 grams before getting a blister. It's like 1/4 cup by volume. :confused:

DS10 stayed overnight with my parents and he is a spazzy frightful mess today. I sent him to bed very early, I think 6 p.m. He actually slept, thank goodness! DS2 is in that sleepy-hyper stage. I gave up, walking away. Daddy can do bedtime tonight!

I don't know what we'll do with the deformed lamb. It's a ewe, so we have to decide whether to cull/sell or keep in the flock. I guess we'll wait and see. DH will probably prefer to keep, but I'm ready to start culling. I am thinking the deformed lamb, and spazzy ewe have to go. We'll see what spazzy ewe's two ewe lambs end up like - they might go too. I think we're planning to keep just 6 breeding ewes - not growing the flock. For reference, this farm used to have 200 sheep! We're pretty much just keeping enough that we pay ag taxes not recreational taxes. :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness - I remember 2 year olds. My son was ADHD to the max! He N.E.V.E.R slept! Therefore, I slept very little.

It will be interesting to see if the little lamb makes it. It's a really good idea to keep the herd numbers in check. I'm terrible at it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keeping numbers in check is important and so hard. I try to keep numbers down constantly or we'll end up with a million of everything, lol.

Agreed spazzy ewe should go. I have a spazzy doe I thought about getting rid of, but she had babies and she's friendly now so she can stay.

Latest posts