Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
And lambing season is over! Avalon (3 year old ewe of my breeding) had *quads* overnight. Everything looks fine. They're small and not looking particularly vigorous, so I will watch them carefully the next couple days and supplement if needed. I don't see a reason to take one or two away to bottle feed [yet].

We had 2 sets of quads, 2 sets of triplets, 1 set of twins, and a single. 17 lambs.... 11 survivors to date. I was anticipating 12 - 14 lambs before mortality, so... I guess it worked out okay.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew..... Aren't ya glad that's over!

Of course, now the work of raising those little buggers is kicking into high gear.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We still have snow on the pasture, so the oldest ruggrats are making mayhem in the barn! :gig The lambs are bullying the roosters we have not bothered to butcher yet.

I went out to check and one of the quads had crashed. I must have been there just in time - got him roused and a bit by bottle and he perked up enough to find his momma. That one and another are dehydrated, so I will keep on checking.

DS10 has a friend over for the day. The boy is a neighbor whose parents used to dairy farm. He is a couple years younger, but he is an intellectual peer (which is so statistically unlikely, it's just the most amazing gift). Because DS10 has ADHD, he's a very close emotional peer too. It's so funny to watch them together. They're both stubborn and very concerned about being "right" and both interact by spouting of obscure facts and quizzing each other. They're a hoot. :love

That crazy-jumpy ewe butted the fence hard because I touched her lamb through the fence. Uhm, no. No. No. No. No. Nope. Buh-bye! If DH didn't have a say-so I would get her out of my barn today and bottle raise her lamb because it's a girl.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
6" of snow overnight and single digit temps. Bummer! Spring is not here yet.

I m working on cleaning out the fridge. I made 2 dozen/quarts pineapple pickled eggs. I hope my kids like them. Also baking cookies. Cooked lunch today (that's becoming an event, I don't do it as often as I should).

DS10 is in trouble as usual. Wouldn't do his math yesterday, wasted my day sitting and watching him. So he's doing my chores today. I'm sure he is not learning his lesson. Again. :he

DH is okay with my sales/culling list for sheep. One little problem.... we don't have a livestock trailer to get them to the auction pool :lol: One of his employees wants to raise a bottle ram/wether lamb.... I think I've got one for her! If she commits I'll separate the strongest quad boy from mom to get him hungry and started on the bottle.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze Louise! Snow is no good this time of year! It's almost April! I really don't know how ya'll do it... I was over winter on the first freeze we had, lol. I'm a winter wuss!

Hope DS10 can get his rear in gear!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cannot wait for Monday! Spring break is almost over and I can't wait to send him off to school. He doesn't do well with unstructured time. He can'twon't structure time himself and won't follow instructions or suggestions from me. :barnie My health has been worse this week. Because of constant stress and conflict from his BS and 2) I have had to sit around watching him [not] do chores, homework, whatever he doesn't want to do and am already getting cardiac deconditioning and increased tachycardia. Thanks kiddo. :barnie :he

He's so miserable and his life sucks because he refuses to act differently. Doesn't matter if he takes ADHD meds or not. He's just a horrible person at home. He's more hard-headed than a damn goat. Hey kiddo, here's a hint: if you feel bad when you do something then STOP DOING IT. :barnie:he

(or just blame everything on your mother because she obvious is causing you to make bad choices?)
:barnie:he:th

I spent the last trimester teaching him good study skills and he got A- and A+ grades. This trimester, I'm letting him practice those skills (hah) and :pop while his grades drop. He is motivated by grades, so nothing I need to do there except let him learn his choices aren't working.

Anyway, SPRING BREAK IS ALMOST OVER! Hallelujah!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We visited DH's parents and his siblings. Nice day. :love

My quad lambs are not gaining well. I'm going to start taking the 2 girls out and bottle feed them during the day, give them back to mom at night. Since the boys are probably destined for slaughter, we want them to gain better. I'm keeping the ewes so I don't care about a slower rate of gain - they'll catch up. I'm planning to bring them inside tomorrow morning as soon as DH goes to work. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We got another 4-6" of snow overnight. :barnie

DS10's birthday.... DS11 that is. He is home from school. He took 4 hours to do his chore yesterday, then didn't have time to do homework, etc. I sent him to bed at midnight and decided to keep him home from school to get *yesterday's* responsibilities done. Getting close to lunchtime and no surprises, it's not done. Not even close. I guess he can stay home from school until he figures out how to do the bare essentials of life? (He might end up truant or homeschooling?) Is it normal for children to be this annoying? :barnie

I am looking into selling at farmer's markets this year [without going broke on packaging and presentation]. I'm getting myself all tangled up with various certifications and selling requirements! I'm not good at putting just one foot in front of the other!