Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
One of the quads died. Of course, the girl. :( I feel bad. She was thinner and she was the only one to accept the bottle. Ava was mothering her so I assumed she was getting milk when I wasn't there. I was feeding her half of what an orphaned lamb would get. Big mistake, shoulda trusted my guts. Cause of death: negative energy balance. :(

I dozed most of the afternoon yesterday, slept >12 hours last night. I feel human again. Still haven't kicked the cold, I have a bit of cough left. My plan is to turn on PBS Kids for DS2 and take a nap again.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww sorry about the baby! Hope you get some rest and feel better!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
One of my yearling ewes had lambs. Triplets. She didn't mother them. They are dead. 2 were still in the sack. I'm annoyed. Without having ewes in lambing pens, they don't get tame. And not I'm going to have a spazzy wild ewe. Not cool.

Would you cull a first time ewe for not mothering? I'm tempted.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh sad! I might... Why invest another year feeding her and risk losing another bunch of lambs? I know "they" suggest giving a second chance.... Depends on how attached you are to her. I sold a first timer this year because she attacked other does' kids. No time, space or patience for that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow - not great luck with lambing this year. I dunno either.... lousy mama's are no fun - but TRIPS as a FF.... I might be tempted to give her one more chance. :hu

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
True, I breed for milk and prefer twins. But if you want triplets...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If mama can raise 'em... it's all good. If not - they aren't so much fun for sure. The folks that pull and bottle feed anyway love trips. With that doe not mothering well - it would definitely be a gamble.

ARGH! I'm a total dork. Forgot we are talking sheep here - not goats, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Nah, we have the same problems with lambs, but bottle raising lambs is more difficult than goats. My sample size is small, but my bottle goat was easy and fine, bottle lambs have been a crapshoot. DH wants to put down lambs rather than attempt bottle feeding. I want to bottle feed, but no use those lambs for breeding.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the first breeds I ruled out was finnsheep, because they have quads and quints all the time! Are lambs that hard to bottle raise? I had no idea.